How would you change the Maxx HD?

dan.dar

Reaction score
1) Add back-side illuminated (BSI) sensor to the camera (same resolution) to improve low light performance.
2) Add another 1GB of ram for smoother multi-tasking by heavy users.
3) Remove the sharp plastic bezel that's running around the screen. Make the finish similar to what you see on Nokia Lumia 900 or HTC 1X. This would make the phone feel much thinner than it is and with Gorilla Glass 2 coatings, the danger to the screen is negligible.

For next generation I'd hope they implement the above plus:
1) Make the bezel as small as in the Razr M, and reduce the chin by shoving in a 5" screen without enlarging the physical size.
2) Make the screen S-Amoled+ with current resolution or S-Amoled with 1920X1080 resolution and black levels similar to what's found on original Super Amoleds.

The next gen will most likely come with a next gen quad core CPU, so I'm not listing it because that goes without saying. Same goes for locked bootloaders. They're not going away so I'm not going to even bother listing it.

For those that upgraded now, you're most likely stuck for another 18 months. I'd be willing to bet that in 18 months this is exactly what we're going to see.

geoff5093

Reaction score
Improve the camera. Not just a little, but completely redesign their camera and software. Samsung and HTC are way ahead in this area.

While I like the raised bezel (prevents scratching the glass if laid front-down), the plastic scratches very easily, it should have been aluminum like the M.

Get rid of the odd shape, make it more comfortable to hold and have more rounded edges.

hotice

Reaction score
1. Fix the camera! Use a BSI sensor and improve any other camera components that need it. It sounds like Jelly Bean will include fixes that help a lot but no software fix can replace a BSI sensor.

2. It's smart to have a small rim that's slightly higher than the display. Glass is glass and it will break. That's why even apple got smart and took the glass off the back of the iphone on the 5. I love the design of this phone! It's still small but it's solid and well built. The only thing I would do is drop the metal band around the outside. Kevlar or some kind of plastic would be better there. Metal interferes with signal more than other materials like plastic and kevlar. There is no problem with signal now but this change would only make it better. This is unrelated to the iphone antenna issues where the band was the antenna. That's a whole different issue. I love the look and feel of the Maxx HD.

3. Use an LCD display instead of OLED. As far as OLED displays go this is a pretty good one and I'm ok with it but LCD in most applications just use less battery and they're brighter. We can live without a 40,000:1 contrast ratio on our phones. Non-Pentile would be nice too, though making it pentile helps battery life (for LCD or OLED) and may be why you went with that. Use an IPS, IPS+, PLS, NOVA, or a Super LCD2. Actually my preference would be the one on the Nexus 4, LG did some awesome things with that, but any high-end LCD will do.

4. Add 1GB of RAM - just because it was silly not to include 2GB of RAM and it will let it get new OS versions longer.

5. I love the way the SIM/MicroSD card cover doesn't fall off or open when you don't want it to but make a new one that we can open with our finger or maybe with software eject. But this is better than needing to take the battery out - I think.

6. Correctly document supported storage. It sounds like the Razr HD and Maxx HD support MicroSDXC, not just MicroSDHC. There is a big difference between a 2TB max and a 32GB max.

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
6. Correctly document supported storage. It sounds like the Razr HD and Maxx HD support MicroSDXC, not just MicroSDHC. There is a big difference between a 2TB max and a 32GB max.

The Razr Maxx HD only supports up to 32 GB microSDHC cards. SDXC is 64 GB and up. The Samsung GS3 does support up to 64 GB. They say 64 GB microSDHC but if it's 64 GB, then it has to be SDXC. I'm not sure if it can support anything bigger than 64 GB even though SDXC can. There was actually a review where someone did try it with a 64 GB microSDXC and it would not read but read a 32 GB microSDHC just fine. THis is one of the things that may sway me toward a GS3 over a Maxx HD but probably gonna stick with the Maxx HD.

TripL

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying this phone. The only change I'd like to see is a simple return of a small white led near the charging port like I had on my D2 that lights when charging and goes off once complete. Other than that I can honestly say I luv this phone.

geoff5093

Reaction score
The Razr Maxx HD only supports up to 32 GB microSDHC cards. SDXC is 64 GB and up. The Samsung GS3 does support up to 64 GB. They say 64 GB microSDHC but if it's 64 GB, then it has to be SDXC. I'm not sure if it can support anything bigger than 64 GB even though SDXC can. There was actually a review where someone did try it with a 64 GB microSDXC and it would not read but read a 32 GB microSDHC just fine. THis is one of the things that may sway me toward a GS3 over a Maxx HD but probably gonna stick with the Maxx HD.
My Thunderbolt can utilize a 64GB MicroSDXC card, so I don't see why the MAXX HD couldn't.

electric6

Reaction score
hmmm how about a Nexus version? Who's up for that one? :icon_ lala:

stridr69

Reaction score
Light Flow

Get the app: Light Flow. I have mine set up to blink white when charging then change to blue when fully charged. Works great! dancedroid

mrtech1200

Reaction score
1. Improve the camera

2. Add an additional 1GB of RAM (for future upgradability)

3. Make it 64 MB SD capable

These enhancements would make this phone as near to perfect as it could be.dancedroid