How/Where do I start? Should I?

OwlD2G

Reaction score
I just got my new DROID 2 Global a few days ago, and I want to customize it, but I'm not a programmer. How/Where do I start my journey into mod'ing my D2G?

Many thanks.

OwlD2G

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
Welcome!

There are plenty of things you can do. Root and ROM the phone (a different feel to how the device operates. Generally better than the stock feel). You can root the phone and freeze the bloatware apps. Finally, since you are not a programmer and might not want to dig into the programming aspects, you could just see what apps in the market can do!

I know I may sound like a Jerk, but skim through the forums. There is so much useful information out there that me just giving you a couple links to tutorials would be unfair. There are many threads on rooting, romming, freezing apps, and some on apps you can find in the market!

Give it a look. If you are still lost, I (and I am sure others here) will give you some more solid direction.

Welcome to the Droid community, you won't regret owning an Android :)

EDIT:
A must download is Dropbox. If you haven't used it, it is a really good file storage/transfer/backup app that works on the Android as well as Mac/Win/Linux/iOS/etc... If you do any rooting/bootstrapping/romming - This will make installing APKs (Android app installers) a breeze!

OP
O

OwlD2G

Reaction score
Welcome!

There are plenty of things you can do. Root and ROM the phone (a different feel to how the device operates. Generally better than the stock feel). You can root the phone and freeze the bloatware apps. Finally, since you are not a programmer and might not want to dig into the programming aspects, you could just see what apps in the market can do!

I know I may sound like a Jerk, but skim through the forums. There is so much useful information out there that me just giving you a couple links to tutorials would be unfair. There are many threads on rooting, romming, freezing apps, and some on apps you can find in the market!

Give it a look. If you are still lost, I (and I am sure others here) will give you some more solid direction.

Thanks, Phoenix. What would be the easiest/least risky mod to start with?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Personally I think the Droid 2G is so good that I would not root it and install a custom rom/theme/kernel. I think I would just get the app "Folder Organizer" and create custom icons for my favorite apps and then using a custom wallpaper, I'd bee done with it.

I mean the phone is fast, the phone is stable. Do you realy need to change it's performance or it's looks?

CAP201011300920.jpg

CAP201008181739.jpg

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
I would suggest looking into what the app store has to offer. If that isn't enough, try a ROM. I am running the Fission ROM. Its a slimmer, friendlier Android operating system. Removes the Verizon bloat. It will get rid of Blur (the social network widgets on the home screens if you use it).

Fission is here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ic-android-aosp-like-fission-rom-manager.html

I suggested Dropbox in my last post (an edit). It is well worth it for ANY modding.

If you want to go the ROM route it fairly simple:

Install Z4, run it, then hit permanent root. It might lock up or not work. Usually a battery pull or two can happen. But it will work in a couple tries.

Then once that works, install the custom recovery bootstrapper. Run it (should ask for root rights, means step 1 worked. hit ok). Click bootstrap recovery.

Once that runs. Reboot, then install Fission ROM Manager. Open, Download 2.4.3. Install (make sure to select backup and erase).

Viola, you are on a new ROM.

If you think that is something you want to do, I have all the files and can give you a better writeup (it really is quite simple). You will just need to make sure that you have your contacts backed up and any other data you need backed up.

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
Thanks for giving some direction there too Bayou! Its always good to have options. I personally am a rooter/hacker/etc. I love trying new things, so I don't know how to JUST customize. We need people like you to keep us Root/ROM people from going too crazy.

OP
O

OwlD2G

Reaction score
OK, I just d/l'ed Folder Organizer; I'll start by playing with that. Now, if I could just organize/un-clutter my Droid's home screen... I have the Droid dude at the top of the screen; GPS Weather below that, to the left; Data Usage meter to the right of that; Voicemail; Browser; Kindle; and Text Message below that; World Weather and Antivirus below that.

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
Long hold on each, then you pick it up. You can drop it on the trash can on the bottom of the screen. To put more stuff on the screen, long hold in an empty spot and a menu will come up to change the wallpaper and add folders/widget/etc

OP
O

OwlD2G

Reaction score
Droid 2 Global Essentials Pack just arrived; Droid 2 Global sitting in the docking station; cheap, included 'ear-bud' headphones attached; will play with other stuff as needed. Now, if I could just move my music from iTunes to my Droid...; also, shame on Verizon for not including a carrying case for the D2G in this 'value pack'

OP
O

OwlD2G

Reaction score
observation (damn it!)

I probably can't move my music onto my Droid 2 Global. Why not? The Droid 2 Global has 8 GB of space on the storage card; I have over 300 GB of music in iTunes.

bitojoe

Reaction score
Well you wont be able to move all of it but theres a computer application on verizons website that you can download verizons v cast media manager. Install it, hook your phone up and on the notifications bar a usb symbol will pop up, press usb mass storage and then the v cast application will give the option to pull music from itunes and then yer set!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
O

OwlD2G

Reaction score
Welcome!

EDIT:
A must download is Dropbox. If you haven't used it, it is a really good file storage/transfer/backup app that works on the Android as well as Mac/Win/Linux/iOS/etc... If you do any rooting/bootstrapping/romming - This will make installing APKs (Android app installers) a breeze!

How do I verify if I successfully rooted my phone?

OP
O

OwlD2G

Reaction score
What am I doing wrong?

When I try to root my Droid 2 Global using DoRootv3, here's what happens:

Last login: Tue Feb 8 19:11:25 on ttys000
c-24-62-164-120:~ owl-luvr$ chmod 0755 /Users/owl-luvr/Desktop/dorootv3.sh
c-24-62-164-120:~ owl-luvr$ /Users/owl-luvr/Desktop/dorootv3.sh

Welcome to DORoot ver. 3.0!

===========================================
The Fine Print

There is no gurantee with his program.
You run it at your own risk. We can not
be held responsible if you do not get the
results you desire.
===========================================

This is presented to you by DarkOnion and Facelessuser.

Please choose and option by typing a number and pressing enter.

1. Full Install
Downloads necessary files and roots.
2. Root Process Only
3. Unroot
4. Credits and Donation Information
5. Exit

-n Please make a selection: [1 2 3 4 or 5]

You are on Mac. You fail! :p
Downloading DoRoot for Mac!

Downloading 1 of 1
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 71355 100 71355 0 0 145k 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 306k

Download Complete. Extracting files.
Archive: DoRootMac_221.zip
replace DoRootMac/adb? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: A
inflating: DoRootMac/adb
inflating: DoRootMac/doroot.sh
Extraction completed.
Downloading program files to proper location.

Download and file set-up complete.
Would you like to begin rooting your phone?
Choose and option: [1 or 2].

1. Yes. I'd like DO and FLU to take over the world!!
2. No. Screw them and and to hell with this root process!
The goggles! They do nothing!

You are using that Steve Jobs' OS!
Be a man! Do the right thing! Use a real operating system!

You chose to begin rooting your phone.
We will begin rooting shortly.

Welcome to DarkOnion Root

Presented by: darkonion and facelessuser

Special Thanks to: Sebastian Krahmer at C skills

Checking for needed files.
-->Superuser.apk
-->su
-->busybox
-->rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

If the following command takes too long to connect, close your terminal.
Disconnect your phone and make sure debugging is enabled, and you are set to PC mode.

Checking for devices...

That's as far as I get. I verify that debugging is enabled and that my Droid is in PC mode. Where do I go from here?

Many thanks.

OwlD2G

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
The command line and DoRoot didn't work for me. Use Z4Root - its an app you install on the phone itself, then one button push and you are rooted.

Getting the APK on the Device (Can be done other methods, but this is simple and work for the future)

Note: If you know how to ADB push, it can be done that way too, but this way allows you to remote root anywhere without a PC.

1. Download and install Dropbox on your Mac/PC (Signup/Install here: Dropbox)
2. Drop the Z4Root file in your Dropbox (DL here: Z4Root.apk)
3. Install Dropbox on your phone
4. Log-in to Dropbox
5. Open the Z4Root APK (If warned about unsigned/non market, tap the button to go to settings and allow non-market apps then tap back to get back to Dropbox)
6. If you had to change settings in 6, open the Z4Root APK again. Otherwise you are set.

Rooting (Z4 Installed and in the Apps drawer)
1. Open Z4Root
2. Tap Perma-root
3. Wait 30 seconds
4. If it doesn't say rooted or locks up, pull the battery and reboot
5. If you are not rooted, repeat steps 1-4 a couple times. I have never had a phone take more than 3 tries.

EDIT:

Verification
Once rooted, it should tell you and will install a SuperUser app that manages root privileges for apps.

OP
O

OwlD2G

Reaction score
The command line and DoRoot didn't work for me. Use Z4Root - its an app you install on the phone itself, then one button push and you are rooted.

Getting the APK on the Device (Can be done other methods, but this is simple and work for the future)

Note: If you know how to ADB push, it can be done that way too, but this way allows you to remote root anywhere without a PC.

1. Download Dropbox
2. Install Dropbox on your Mac/PC (Signup/Install here: Dropbox)
3. Drop the Z4Root file in your Dropbox (DL here: Z4Root.apk)
4. Install Dropbox on your phone
5. Log-in to Dropbox
6. Open the Z4Root APK (If warned about unsigned/non market, tap the button to go to settings and allow non-market apps then tap back to get back to Dropbox)
7. If you had to change settings in 6, open the Z4Root APK again. Otherwise you are set.

Rooting (Z4 Installed and in the Apps drawer)
1. Open Z4Root
2. Tap Perma-root
3. Wait 30 seconds
4. If it doesn't say rooted or locks up, pull the battery and reboot
5. If you are not rooted, repeat steps 1-4 a couple times. I have never had a phone take more than 3 tries.

EDIT:

Verification
Once rooted, it should tell you and will install a SuperUser app that manages root privileges for apps.

I don't think Z4Root is available anymore, is it?