[How to] Update Swype

pyro6128

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people asking how to get the new swype beta, so I'm going to post the instructions that worked for me. Mind you, I tried this all myself through trial and error, so if steps can be removed great. But as of now all I can say is this is what worked for me.
  1. First your phone needs to be rooted, I suggest using the one click method thats floating around
  2. Freeze the Swype apk (I used titanium backup)
  3. Reboot (i just did this because I like to reboot after freezing apps just to be safe, could possibly work without the reboot)
  4. Go to swype's beta page, log in and download the swype installer
  5. Run the swype installer, follow the directions
  6. then its going to ask you if you want to install swype to system, say yes to that. Once swype is installed, you probably still won't be able to pick it from the keyboard and inputs menu in settings (i wasn't).
  7. Now go back to titanium backup and unfreeze the swype apk
  8. Reboot (again, don't know if this is necessary but I do it after messing with system apps)
  9. Go to settings>language & keyboard>Input> select swype (you should be able to longpress on a text field and select your input that way as well)
Thats it, you should have the new swype beta installed on your phone. It will be easy to notice if it worked because the beta has the old swype look which is much different (and better looking) than the preloaded look. Hope that helps you guys. If anyone finds steps that can be removed or something, let me know and I'll update these steps.

Enjoy your new swype with gestures!

amaroth

Reaction score
Do you have to use Titanium Backup? I tried these same steps but instead I moved the swype.apk to another folder I made, ran the beta installer, and then moved the swype.apk back from the folder to /apps/ using root explorer. It hasn't seemed to work because swype is still a white color..
halp!

OP
pyro6128

pyro6128

Reaction score
Hmm I really don't know. I think you could try moving it out of system and into the data/app folder, and then upgrading it. I think what's happening is you're moving swype to somewhere the installer doesn't recognize, so when you move it back you're essentially just replacing it again with the old one. Move it to data/app then run the installer. See if that helps.

Side note: if you're rooted and plan on messing with the phone I HIGHLY recommend titanium backup. Its the number one app any root user should own. 100 percent worth every penny

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

sarreq

Reaction score
freezing wasn't working for me. i had to move the system version to my SD card, search all instances of Swype from /data and delete them (don't worry, they get recreated), then run the installer as normal and reboot. black, navy and grey, with swypecuts and a personal dictionary are go.

amaroth

Reaction score
sarreq I did what you said, and the swype installer worked. I had the beta working for about half a day, and then all of a sudden it just went back to force closing... What do i do??

amaroth

Reaction score
EDIT: I found my old Swype.apk that I was looking for. I moved it to my sdcard.

Updated phone with OTA, rooted, deleted /data/ swype files, ran installer again, and I have the beta working right now. I will see how long it lasts this time.

Warglock

Reaction score
This method worked for me. I also did this same process with the Slacker that's pre-installed and it worked too, but I didn't have to restart my phone.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
This method worked for me. I also did this same process with the Slacker that's pre-installed and it worked too, but I didn't have to restart my phone.

Slacker is in the market so you can just do a search for it and update.

klampflm

Reaction score
Alright,

I did every step, and I had no issues until i tried to use the new swype. It won't let me open it. When I am clicken the Swype setting, my phone tries to open the options, but after not even one second I get back to the previous screen.

Even when I try to select the input method at texting, it does not open the keyboard at all.

Please help!

klampflm

Reaction score
So, I tried it again, and I think the problem lays here: I do the installation, and the I am stuck at the Installer Screen saying:

LICENSING SWYPE, PLEASE WAIT...

I am waiting now since half an hour, nothing happens. Does anyone know what to do?

klampflm

Reaction score
Well that was weird...it still didn't work today, and it got stuck all the time at the licensing page.

Today it got stuck there again, I left the screen, went into to unfreeze the now unlicensed Swype Version and rebootet the phone. (This is what I did all the time)

Then I went into the text message, and selected SWYPE as the Input-method, which of course did not open a keyboard at all (as usual). I was so frustrated, so I tapped into the text field a couple times fast after each other (and kinda screamed "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRKKKKKKK!!!!!!!")

And guess what: It opened :) I have no idea why it worked, but I am so happy it did, the new Interface looks awesome. What i love most already is the soft vibration response when you type. The pre-installed version had a very intense vibration feedback.

Well, thank you (even though no one answered :-D)

RJVecchio

Reaction score
There is a much easier way

I've seen a lot of people asking how to get the new swype beta, so I'm going to post the instructions that worked for me. Mind you, I tried this all myself through trial and error, so if steps can be removed great. But as of now all I can say is this is what worked for me.
  1. First your phone needs to be rooted, I suggest using the one click method thats floating around
  2. Freeze the Swype apk (I used titanium backup)
  3. Reboot (i just did this because I like to reboot after freezing apps just to be safe, could possibly work without the reboot)
  4. Go to swype's beta page, log in and download the swype installer
  5. Run the swype installer, follow the directions
  6. then its going to ask you if you want to install swype to system, say yes to that. Once swype is installed, you probably still won't be able to pick it from the keyboard and inputs menu in settings (i wasn't).
  7. Now go back to titanium backup and unfreeze the swype apk
  8. Reboot (again, don't know if this is necessary but I do it after messing with system apps)
  9. Go to settings>language & keyboard>Input> select swype (you should be able to longpress on a text field and select your input that way as well)
Thats it, you should have the new swype beta installed on your phone. It will be easy to notice if it worked because the beta has the old swype look which is much different (and better looking) than the preloaded look. Hope that helps you guys. If anyone finds steps that can be removed or something, let me know and I'll update these steps.

Enjoy your new swype with gestures!

If you don't ant to pay for titanium in order to freeze it you can simply delete the apk from /system/apps with any root browser, no reboots needed. Alternatively, swype comes with an update feature in its settings.