How to uninstall factory-installed McAfee Mobile Security?

ekolis

Reaction score
My Acer Iconia tablet came with McAfee Mobile Security preinstalled. But I think it's slowing the tablet down, and I want to uninstall it - isn't antivirus software on Android overrated, anyway? I can't uninstall it, though; all I can do is force stop, so it will restart every time I reboot the tablet, and there might be some background processes still running. Is there any way to uninstall this app, or am I stuck with it until I finally give in and root the thing?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
If there's no uninstall option, then I could be a system app. And, yes, you'll need to root to remove it or freeze it

Tapped from a Moto X

OP
ekolis

ekolis

Reaction score
I saw on another forum that you can "disable" factory installed apps on tablets, but I don't see any way to do so - all I see is "force stop" and "uninstall updates". Is this feature only available on some tablets?

OP
ekolis

ekolis

Reaction score
Actually, I think I found a workaround! I hit "uninstall updates", and just to see what would happen, I opened the app again. It presented me with a EULA, so this time I hit "decline". If it starts nagging me again, maybe I can sue McAfee? :D I mean, I already told them I'm not interested... and suppose I wanted to install some competing antivirus software? They could be preventing me from doing so! Antitrust much?

OP
ekolis

ekolis

Reaction score
And now I find the disable option! :D Apparently it only becomes visible once you click "uninstall updates"...

The Biker

Reaction score
I'm sorry for posting this onto your post but i'm a newbie on here and this is relevant to my issue.
Is there any way to disable or uninstall the preinstalled Mcafee app on the Acer Iconia One 7 Tablet?
I bought this for a christmas present and they were doing a deal where you could purchase a Mcafee Livesafe subscription for £20 with it. I already have this on my PC and can track the location of my other children's tablets,which is always a good thing for a parent ,so i thought that i'd be able to do the same with this tablet,but when i tried to add it to my PC and send the link to the tablet it wouldn't let me enter the code anywhere.
I've just spent the last hour on the Mcafee Live Chat and got no sense out of them what so ever.
I've seen on this site a very similar post from somebody else who is having the same problems.No matter what i do it just wont go away,
I've tried what has been mentioned above but still no joy. I just want to uninstall one Mcafee product to install another one, is that too much to ask.
I hope that somebody can help me with this?