Droid 3 won't factory reset!!!! HELP!!

aross6

Reaction score
This is actually my husband's account, but he's at work and this is driving me NUTS!

My Droid 3 won't let me uninstall anything. I uninstall and reboot and everything is back. Any text messages sent or received after two days ago disappear sporadically. Random reboots. Occasionally in a bootloop. Battery pulls stop the bootloop, but everything is back to where it was two days ago when the phone is turned back on. Once, I had sent two or three texts, read a little in Aldiko, then went back to my texts and they were gone, but when I sent another text, what I typed was not sent...instead, it sent the last text I received. Tried to send another text and it sent the first text I had recently sent. Then tried a third time and it was fine, but the person I was trying to text thought I was going crazy.

Oh, and occasionally when I try to read a text it force closes and the only solution is to restart the phone, which of course brings it back to that point that will be the death of me, so I lose the text that I just received.

I tried multiple times to do the factory reset, and when it reboots it's back at the same freaking point it keeps going back to.

The only thing I can think of that I downloaded is Words With Friends, which is coincidentally demonic and therefore should never be downloaded by anyone, EVER. I have tried a billion times to uninstall it and it keeps coming back again and again and again! So, in the meantime, since it is clearly NOT going anywhere, I have been continuing to play it and am actually winning...for once.

I even tried uninstalling ROM Manager and Superuser before attempting the reset. Nothing. They're back too. And Superuser consistently force closes through all of this.

Please help me before I murder something.

jgsinc1

Reaction score
First how are you doing the factory reset?
You need to go to setting>privacy setting>Factory data reset. Then check erase internal storage(Media area). Then follow the steps from there.

If you have an SD card I would take it out first.

Hopes this works for you.

OP
A

aross6

Reaction score
Well, I wasn't checking erase internal storage, but I just did and....lo and behold.....back to that same spot! (When I say "same spot" I mean I have sent and received texts since last reboot and they are gone, back to the two days ago spot) And now it just randomly rebooted.

Anything else?

Wait! It finally finished booting after the random reboot and appeared to be wiped....but just rebooted again before I could really see. Now it's stuck in bootloop. And so far, a battery pull hasn't stopped it.

OP
A

aross6

Reaction score
And, now that the bootloop has stopped....it's still just where I left it. It's like groundhog day, only worse....much, much worse. That's what I get for downloading an iPhone-native app. I should have known better.

sataniceaden

Reaction score
have you tried the safe boot recovery??

power off phone turn it back on holding X Once android shows his face push the volume key and you will have a wipe data/factory reset

i had an issue a while ago that i got similar issues this fixed it for me

hope it works

OP
A

aross6

Reaction score
Your symptoms sound like you are rooted and you may have deleted some apps, which you considered bloatware.

No. I've been rooted since the beginning of Droid 3 rooting (I don't know, two months maybe?) and this just started two days ago.

OP
A

aross6

Reaction score
have you tried the safe boot recovery??

power off phone turn it back on holding X Once android shows his face push the volume key and you will have a wipe data/factory reset

i had an issue a while ago that i got similar issues this fixed it for me

hope it works

Well, I didn't use X, but I did the reset from Settings, as well as using M and the Power key, then choosing recovery, and pressing both volume keys simultaneously when the triangle/exclamation point/cute Andy comes up and choosing the wipe data option. Neither worked.

OP
A

aross6

Reaction score
Also...
Tried the psouza4 and RSD and neither worked. The RSD wouldn't even flash. Every time I pressed start it would disconnect from the phone then reconnect so it failed. Miserably.

sataniceaden

Reaction score
if its still giving you issues after safe boot then you have something locking your nandflash
this is understandably in root phone but if its not rooted then something is locking it
have you tried just formatting the internal storage? may not work but worth a shot settings>storage>format internal storage (remove any sd card before doing this)
i found that this removed all apps

the only other thing i can think of doing is find an old SFB of the stock FW for the d3 root your phone then flash a customer rom the restore to the orig D3fw

i dont know how to do this as i also run stock but i do have mine rooted it sound to me that when you installed whatever you did it has changed a file name or something

best of luck

OP
A

aross6

Reaction score
No, it IS rooted. I was saying that the issue is not the rooting because it was fine for two months. I'm trying to get it back to stock to essentially "start over".

Why is this happening???? There is no reason whatsoever why I shouldn't be able to wipe my flippin' phone!

sataniceaden

Reaction score
sorry yeah i read that bit wrong
as i said it seams as if something has locked the nand flash im not sure apart from locking the bootloader that can do this but as you only installed an app i cant think of a way that it would have done it but low and behold it seams so

OP
A

aross6

Reaction score
sorry yeah i read that bit wrong
as i said it seams as if something has locked the nand flash im not sure apart from locking the bootloader that can do this but as you only installed an app i cant think of a way that it would have done it but low and behold it seams so

I'm almost certain that's the case, but how do I fix it?????

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You've tried the fastboot FXZ method?

Its on rootzwiki in the D3 section.

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862