How to toggle to wi-fi only?

fenrisswolf

Reaction score
Here's my situation:

I'll be leaving the US for at least a few weeks due to a death in the family. I really want to take my phone with me but don't want to have accidental roaming charges, as I am fairly broke at the moment. For that same reason, I do not want to pay Verizon for international calling either.

I know I'll have fairly widespread access to wi-fi, so I'd like to know if it's possible for me to toggle my phone's cell radio off and use wi-fi only while I'm gone. I'm a little worried that merely toggling "roaming" off may not work right, but anyone that can tell me that's all I need to do, feel free to pipe in and take that issue of my mind.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Place it in airplane mode and turn wifi on......Done.

codustyle

Reaction score
Here's my situation:

I'll be leaving the US for at least a few weeks due to a death in the family. I really want to take my phone with me but don't want to have accidental roaming charges, as I am fairly broke at the moment. For that same reason, I do not want to pay Verizon for international calling either.

I know I'll have fairly widespread access to wi-fi, so I'd like to know if it's possible for me to toggle my phone's cell radio off and use wi-fi only while I'm gone. I'm a little worried that merely toggling "roaming" off may not work right, but anyone that can tell me that's all I need to do, feel free to pipe in and take that issue of my mind.

plus the dx doesnt have a sim card and wont make phone calls over foreign cellular networks overseas anyways... only droid pro

OP
F

fenrisswolf

Reaction score
The sim card thing is generally true enough, I suppose.

I didn't know airplane mode only killed the cell phone band radio, I was under the impression that it was a complete radio kill switch. So I also learned something new from this. dancedroid

Drummynator

Reaction score
Wifi will be turned off if its on when you activate airplane mode, but then you can turn it back on while still in airplane mode. I wouldn't recommend leaving wifi on when you're not connected to a network because it will keep trying to scan for networks and this well effect your battery life some.

Sent from my Focused DROID X