How To Switch Between Apps?

breichard

Reaction score
I have a very basic question. I've been using my Droid 2 for a couple of months now and I just realized that I feel like I'm missing something very basic. How do you switch between open apps without going through the home screen? For example, let's say I'm composing an email (corporate sync) and want to switch over to contacts to look up somebody's phone number to put in the email. Today I would hit the home button, go into contacts, look up/copy the phone number (edit to be able to copy...errr, annoying...but beside this point), hit the back button multiple times to get back to the home screen (just so that contact isn't still open), hit email again, hit the plus for a new email and choose my draft. Assuming I didn't have the contact open before I started, the part of that I would change is getting back to my draft email. Is there a quick way to switch from the open contact back to the draft email? i.e., like alt-tab in Windows? Is there any way to pop up a list of open apps and switch to one? Or flip through them?

Thanks,
Bob

pool_shark

Reaction score
Press and hold the home button, it will show you your last 8 apps used.

OP
B

breichard

Reaction score
Thank you pool_shark! I knew I was missing something very basic. Is there a list of these shortcuts somewhere? I've searched, but am obviously not finding it.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another way is to get a app like Quick Desk. You hold the search button and a screen pops up. You can add apps (like contacts) and widgets (like the power strip) to that. Adding your contacts to that lets you bring that up without actually leaving the email app.

westhaking

Reaction score
The absolute best app that I have found to do this is Visual Task Switcher. Search for it in the market. There is a free version with ads and an ad free version for $1.99. Well worth the price if you ask me.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

nhra1ss

Reaction score
The absolute best app that I have found to do this is Visual Task Switcher. Search for it in the market. There is a free version with ads and an ad free version for $1.99. Well worth the price if you ask me.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Just downloaded this. Works great on LauncherPro++. The only thing I noticed with this is if you pop it up on a different screen than your home screen, it takes you back to that screen, not your home screen. Not a big deal to me, but love the app. After using it a while, may have to spring for the paid ad free version.