How to stop deleting email on my PC when I delete from my phone

Charlie123

Reaction score
I too just made the switch from BB to Android. I have ICS on my Razr Maxx and am also disappointed at the apparent inability to Delete From Handset Only with my multiple AOL and Yahoo email accounts. It does work, though, with an earthlink email address that is used with Outlook. For that email, I had the "Never Delete email From Server" option, but I don't have them for the AOL and Yahoo emails (they do not appear in the Settings). That's one thing I really miss about the BB, that all the texts, emails from multiple accounts, etc. all went into one stream and that I could delete from the handset.

So...is this an impossibility to set up the AOL and Yahoo emails on my Droid to Delete From Handset Only?

ricks

Reaction score
I too just made the switch from BB to Android. I have ICS on my Razr Maxx and am also disappointed at the apparent inability to Delete From Handset Only with my multiple AOL and Yahoo email accounts. It does work, though, with an earthlink email address that is used with Outlook. For that email, I had the "Never Delete email From Server" option, but I don't have them for the AOL and Yahoo emails (they do not appear in the Settings). That's one thing I really miss about the BB, that all the texts, emails from multiple accounts, etc. all went into one stream and that I could delete from the handset.

So...is this an impossibility to set up the AOL and Yahoo emails on my Droid to Delete From Handset Only?
This makes no sense to me, why do you want it only deleted on the phone only? When I delete an email on my phone, I want it gone for good. If I want to keep it, it goes into a folder of my choice. I just don't get it...

Charlie123

Reaction score
Isn't that a duplicate post (#9)?...

Anyway, there are still millions of us migrating away from the BB. For those of us who run multiple businesses and have many different email accounts with different providers, they, like me, probably liked the minimal # of clicks needed to mamage the emails on their BB and servers and adjusted their work habits to it. For me (us?), the handset isn't the primary workstation. When the emails come in, with my BB, if they required immediate action, I could respond on the handset. If they were junk, I could delete from handset and Outlook server/AOL/Yahoo systems simultaneously with one click from the handset. If I wanted to remove it from my handset but keep it in my InBox (where it would show as already read and not New after I opened it from the BB) I could do that with a different single click. That allowed me to only keep the "action item" emails on my handset. The other emails, bill reminders, low-priority emails, etc. would remain in their respective Outlook/AOL/Yahoo In Box marked already read, where I could Move, Delete, Reply at a later date as necessary. From the BB handset, I could also read an email then Mark As New, which would show the email as New on both the handet and in whatever respective email system the email was from (AOL, Yahoo, Outlook). This allowed me (and millions of other BB users) to develop certain email habits that are hard to leave. Run a Google search on the topic...there's two pages just in this thread, and many more threads all over the other android forums. I would prefer to not have to move emails to different folders, reconcile emails from various folders on the handset with those on the server, wade thru tons of emails on my amdroid handset to find a certain one from several days/weeks ago, etc.

So...now that that is out of the way...can anyone answer the original question...Is this an impossibility to set up the AOL and Yahoo emails on my Droid to Delete From Handset Only similar to how the BB manages its email accounts?

Last edited:

maxx1976

Reaction score
Maybe im missing the point but why not move the ones you want to go back to in a specified folder instead of trying to delete on the phone only. Seems it would be the same difference, no?

Edit-ohhhhh i see now(sorry i never used a bb) so bb meshes all the emails from all addresses in one spot? I can see how that could make a big mess.

Last edited:

Charlie123

Reaction score
Maxx1976, ya, the BB fed everything (texts/emails/visual voice mail, etc) into one icon...making it very easy to go thru the communications and reply.

Are you looking for an app that puts all your emails accounts in one page?

Ricks, funny thing is that last week when I first was tinkering w/my razr maxx, there was a Suggestion from my handset that gave me an app/widget that fed everything into a widget(?) on my home screen that I could "swipe" thru. Was actually pretty cool. I removed it, and now can't find it anymore. If you or anyone else can help my find out what that was and where it went, I'd like to revsit it. Can't remember if that was before or after my ICS upgrade. My handset/android does offer me a Combined View for all my different email accounts, putting all the incoming email in one list if I want to view them that way, which is nice and why I went with android and not iOS after ditching my BB.

Also, I deleted and re-installed my AOL and Yahoo (Mail+) accounts. This time, instead of using the handsets "AOL" and Yahoo account set-up icons, I went with "Other" icon and installed the email accounts manually. For AOL, I used:
POP Setup Information
•Email Address: [email protected]

•POP Username: [email protected]

•Incoming Mail Server: pop.aol.com

Remember to check the option for leaving messages on the server
•SMTP Outgoing Server Address: smtp.aol.com

Set the port to 587
•SMTP Username: [email protected]

•SMTP Password: same as used to login to Mail

This is now allowing my handset to NOT erase the emails on the server when I delete from the handet. Better yet, the mails in the server New Mail folder go from bold to regular when they are read on my handset so when I login from a laptop/desktop, I can still see which ones are new/unread (Bold) and which ones are not. Overall, I'm very happy with the move from BB to Droid Razr Maxx!

Last edited:

carlderfler

Reaction score
Razr Maxx deleting emails from server fix

I had to set up my email account as a pop account. After tapping the menu from the home screen. I went to system settings, then Accounts & sync, Add account, Email, then Other (not AOL though my account is with AOL). After putting in my address and password 2 buttons popped up, "Manual setup" and "Next"....I tapped Manual setup'
3 buttons popped up next, POP3, IMAP and Exchange...I tapped POP3. At the bottom of the next window there is a button "Delete email from server" and you may choose Never or "when I delete from inbox"
There is a forum [https://motorola-global-portal.cust...y-email-account-on-my-droid-razr/-razr-maxx?] that helped me set it up and lists a number of other email accounts and their incoming ports, etc.
I hope this helps!

cactus12

Reaction score
I had to set up my email account as a pop account. After tapping the menu from the home screen. I went to system settings, then Accounts & sync, Add account, Email, then Other (not AOL though my account is with AOL). After putting in my address and password 2 buttons popped up, "Manual setup" and "Next"....I tapped Manual setup'
3 buttons popped up next, POP3, IMAP and Exchange...I tapped POP3. At the bottom of the next window there is a button "Delete email from server" and you may choose Never or "when I delete from inbox"
There is a forum [https://motorola-global-portal.cust...y-email-account-on-my-droid-razr/-razr-maxx?] that helped me set it up and lists a number of other email accounts and their incoming ports, etc.
I hope this helps!

I am having the same issue. I also am a business owner who needs to be able to respond to urgent messages when I am on the road and have all my messages available at the office.

A workaround is using POP instead of IMAP on the phone, and setting the "Delete email from Server" option to "never".

However, I don't want to use POP and download all my email message and attachments in their entirety. This uses up a lot of data unncessarily as I get a ton of email. I want to use IMAP, download only the headers of emails on the phone and only download and respond to any urgent messages, have an option to "delete only from handset" on the phone so I can keep it cleaned up, and go back to the office and still have all my emails on my machine.

Standard on the blackberry, not possible on my android phone, as far as I can tell.

I am displeased by the lack of this feature.