How to save message MP3s?

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Got a friend to send me a message with a mp3 clip in it (custom ringtone).

Clicking/holding the music icon only causes the phone to play the file, rather than prompt to save it.

When she sends me pictures in a message, i can hold my finger on those to save, but not the mp3 file.

Anyone know how to do this, or are we forced to use an app to get this done?

OP
S

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
OK guys. After trying some stuff the only real solutions was to use an app called handcent SMS. It also gives you the option to add contacts from a list when composing a message. That's a lot easier than the Droid way of having to type each contacts name or number in that "to:" box.

Make sure you disable notifications on the normal issage program or u will get double notifications from your messages.

Oh and to use handcent SMS to save a mp3 from a message u just play the mp3 and use the phone's menu button with the lines on it. An option to save will show at the bottom of the screen.

EDIT: Hold your finger on a blank space beside the picture/audio file icon rather than holding your finger directly on the icon. This is how you save the files on Handcent SMS (maybe similar on the phone's regular message screen).

Last edited:

CathieBeck

Reaction score
Did this work for you? Allow you to email yourself an mp3 -- and then download it so you can then make it a custom ringtone?

Grgghghg ... been trying to do this for a week.

Cathie

Mojoman

Reaction score
Did this work for you? Allow you to email yourself an mp3 -- and then download it so you can then make it a custom ringtone?

Grgghghg ... been trying to do this for a week.

Cathie

Why not just connect the Droid to your computer and drop the mp3 onto the sd card? You can then use an app like Ringdroid to make a custom ringtone from the mp3.

louisedem

Reaction score
mp3 gets saved as mms file

When I use handcent to save a ringtone using the method described here, it gets saved as MMS_9999dm. It seems it is saving the message and not the attached file. I have a droid2. When I try to save the file using the default Verizon text message app I can't find any way to save it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why not just connect the Droid to your computer and drop the mp3 onto the sd card? You can then use an app like Ringdroid to make a custom ringtone from the mp3.

+1 on Ringdroid.

louisedem

Reaction score
When saving the .mp3 files, they actually got saved as text messages. They got saved to the files folder in settings. Not inside a folder, just listed as MMS_71205dm. I finally sent verizon an email and was told you cannot buy a ringtone online and have it downloaded to a droid. It must be bought from your phone using vcast. I did and it worked perfectly. I suggested they display a warning online or just disable it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I finally sent verizon an email and was told you cannot buy a ringtone online and have it downloaded to a droid.
Sure you can. I wouldn't ever buy one online but there's nothing preventing you from downloading and using files as ringtones.

louisedem

Reaction score
Well, that may be true but when I bought it at mediastore.verizon and it got downloaded as an attachment to a text message to my droid2, there is no way to detach it from the text msg and save the mp3. I tried every single suggestion that I found in these forums and nothing worked. I think from now on I will attach my cell phone to my laptop and use some trimming app to create my own ringtone. thanks for the reply.

sheeperz

Reaction score
regarding saving ringtones from text messages...

Well, that may be true but when I bought it at mediastore.verizon and it got downloaded as an attachment to a text message to my droid2, there is no way to detach it from the text msg and save the mp3. I tried every single suggestion that I found in these forums and nothing worked. I think from now on I will attach my cell phone to my laptop and use some trimming app to create my own ringtone. thanks for the reply.

Don't ask me how, but I just did it, lol. it seems to be rather finicky, letting you do certain tasks sometimes and not others. I just got the Droid X today and sent a ringtone to my phone via SMS from the web. when I opened the text message I clicked on my menu button and after some fiddling it finally gave me an option to "save slideshow". THat's what you want for the X. It saved the ringtone to my SD card and voila. I was then able to open my music and save the sound as a ringtone. Lord, it only took me like ALL NIGHT to figure out how to do it. I thought these were supposed to be SMART phones, lol. Seems like things are a lot less intuitive than the old feature phones or even a good computer. Or maybe they mean that the phones are plain just smarter than we are? :p