- Oct 6, 2011
- Reaction score
Over The Air updates are a staple in the Android ecosystem. They ensure that our devices are as stable and secure as possible. Beyond that they bring awesome new features to our smartphones. There is only one big problem with OTA updates. If you are a person who needs root then you probably already know to stay away from them since most updates patch known exploits killing root for those devices. This is exactly what happened when the 5.0.2 Lollipop update was released for the Sony Xperia Z2 and Z3. Users who decided to take the update have been without root ever since.
Today the root method for these two device was released! To use the below root method you will need to be on 5.0.2 build number 23.1.A.28. You can verify this build number by going to settings, about phone. Once you have verified this proceed with the steps below.
1. Grab the XperiaRoot_ALP.zip file on your smartphone and unzip it.
2. The folder you extracted is called XperiaRoot and will include Busybox, Recovery, Root and SuperSU apk files
3. Be sure you enable installation of apps from "unknown sources" in your security settings on your phone
4. Install the Root apk file Open it and tap root, then wait for the process to finish
5. Next Install the BusyBox apk
6. Then install the Recovery apk
7. Open the Recovery app and tap Install Recovery wait for it to finish
8. Boot into recovery mode (Power down device, power on device when the LED flashes press volume up or down a few times.)(alternatively you could reboot to recovery by using the ADB command "adb reboot recovery)
9. Inside recovery you will want to install the SuperSU file
10. Reboot and Enjoy!