How to retrieve data if the LCD screen broke

EliteSniper177

Reaction score
So yesterday for some unknown reason, my phone's screen started only showing a multi-colored static when the screen is on. There's still haptic feedback where the unlock button is, so I'm assuming just the screen was damaged. Anyway, my problem is that I have some data on there that I would like to get back, but I left the USB mode on charge only before the crash. If there's no way of doing that, I think i might be able to change it using the touch screen, I just cant see where any of the buttons are. Could someone post or direct me to a screenshot of the usb mode screen? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

BlackMill

Reaction score
So yesterday for some unknown reason, my phone's screen started only showing a multi-colored static when the screen is on. There's still haptic feedback where the unlock button is, so I'm assuming just the screen was damaged. Anyway, my problem is that I have some data on there that I would like to get back, but I left the USB mode on charge only before the crash. If there's no way of doing that, I think i might be able to change it using the touch screen, I just cant see where any of the buttons are. Could someone post or direct me to a screenshot of the usb mode screen? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Depending on what you are trying to get at, you may just have to remove the sd card. I can walk you through everything you'd need to do if you aren't tech savvy. Let me know.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
don't suppose you have a micro hdmi cable, and tv with hdmi input?

AJRAS

Reaction score
I have the EXACT same issue!! My dad had the x2 and this happened but he wants all his pictures back. Problem with that being is its all on the internal storage...

Extra info: it is rooted & a full internal storage dump to the sdcard or to a computer through USB would be fine.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
HDMI is auto detect, but you need to unlock screen, blind

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Can't remember exact commands, but can check tonite.
Pictures are stored on internal sd card or external, you maybe able to turn on mass storage mode blind. Connect USB cable to PC and phone, wait for PC to install drivers, pull down top bar and tap screen about a 1/3 down, wait a few seconds to see if PC finds cards or if they are in my computer folder

AJRAS

Reaction score
Can't remember exact commands, but can check tonite.
Pictures are stored on internal sd card or external, you maybe able to turn on mass storage mode blind. Connect USB cable to PC and phone, wait for PC to install drivers, pull down top bar and tap screen about a 1/3 down, wait a few seconds to see if PC finds cards or if they are in my computer folder

in all honesy if i could just download the whole thing that would be great!

Last edited:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Download
Motorola Drivers
Dev-Host - moto-fastboot.rar
7zip or other file compression utility

Install
Moto Drivers
7zip

unzip (uncompress) moto-fastboot.rar with 7zip

Create a folder on c drive named adb so path is c:/adb
Move
uncompressed adb files to adb folder (AdbWinUsbApi.dll, AdbWinApi.dll, adb.exe, fastboot.exe)

Open the CMD (start menu>All programs>accessories>command prompt), and enter the these commands.

change command prompt to adb folder
cd \adb

pull all files with
adb pull /

Every file on the phone should be copied to the adb folder.
This will not work if usb debugging is not checked on phone

edit:

Other Commands

user data only
adb pull /data

Internal sd card only
adb pull /mnt/sdcard
or
adb pull /sdcard

pictures on internal sd card
adb pull /mnt/sdcard/dcim
or
adb pull /sdcard/dcim

Last edited:

hlcc913

Reaction score
I'm so glad I found this post. You could make a small fortune doing this to peoples phones. I followed your instructions and pulled all my data off the internal storage with ease. Thank you so much! Happy New Year!!

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I'm so glad I found this post. You could make a small fortune doing this to peoples phones. I followed your instructions and pulled all my data off the internal storage with ease. Thank you so much! Happy New Year!!

Great, glad I could help, send me your name and address and I will sent a bill, just kidding

heb81

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung galaxy S3
first thanks a lot for all those good information, but lets make more interesting here :)
i have almost the same problem, but my LCD is gone too, then i can only hear the sound of my working phone, but my screen is not responding, AND my usb debugging is not active :p

i think the hdmi cable is good solution to see the screen, but is there any way to control the phone by usb ??of cores very important data to recovery on it.

thanks a lot

regnarg

Reaction score
i think the hdmi cable is good solution to see the screen, but is there any way to control the phone by usb ??of cores very important data to recovery on it.

If the phone has USB host (almost all have, but you'll need an OTG cable), you can try an USB keyboard. I can't try it myself but perhaps someone here could confirm.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
If the phone has USB host (almost all have, but you'll need an OTG cable), you can try an USB keyboard. I can't try it myself but perhaps someone here could confirm.
most newer android devices do, older motorolas do not support usb host mode out of the box, will need a host mode app to enable
and external usb power