how to remove "news and weather" widget from phone?

aldaudio

Reaction score
does anybody know how to do this?

ive got froyo 2.2 and root explorer...

krazyrunner86

Reaction score
Well, I just use adb to modify the system programs, so I'm not too used to Root Explorer. But the name of the News and Weather apk is GenieWidget.apk I believe. So if you use Root Explorer, go to /system/app and find GenieWidget.apk, then just rename it GenieWidget.apk.bak. It will no longer show up in your program drawer, but if you ever want it back, it's not deleted. All you would have to do to get it back is to change the name back to GenieWidget.apk. If you want adb instructions, it's pretty easy to do as well, just pm me

Last edited:
OP
A

aldaudio

Reaction score
thanks for the help. i did some searching around while in devtools and noticed that source was that geanie thing, but i really didnt wanna take my chances messing with that, not knowing if it was connected to anything or not.

naman919

Reaction score
Well, I just use adb to modify the system programs, so I'm not too used to Root Explorer. But the name of the News and Weather apk is GenieWidget.apk I believe. So if you use Root Explorer, go to /system/app and find GenieWidget.apk, then just rename it GenieWidget.apk.bak. It will no longer show up in your program drawer, but if you ever want it back, it's not deleted. All you would have to do to get it back is to change the name back to GenieWidget.apk. If you want adb instructions, it's pretty easy to do as well, just pm me

This method works perfectly and won't cause harm. I used this method to get rid of Facebook, CorpCalendar, etc.

And like Krazy said, just rename it back to .apk from .apk.bak and you have the app back with no issues.

I wouldn't recommend deleting the app's .apk b/c it's hard to tell what other garbage you aren't deleting when only removing a .apk file. JMHO.

Luxferro

Reaction score
or you can use titanium backup, back it up, then use titanium backup to uninstall it... it will remove all the other stuff.

it's called 'new and weather' in TB.

javapop

Reaction score
Thanks, I was wondering how to disable this as well!!!!

alex408123

Reaction score
I could not delet it. it says "file system is read only". what am i doing wrong???

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ummm...why didn't anybody tell me this before I deleted the apps? I had two car homes and deleted one of them, then both disappeared now I have none.

live and learn

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I could not delet it. it says "file system is read only". what am i doing wrong???

In the top right there is an option to "mount as RW" click this first then long press your .apk you would like to delete and select delete

adlx21

Reaction score
im also trying to delete some of the apps using root explorer. do i need to be rooted? im getting the same msg "file system is read only".. i dont see a "mount as RW"..

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You need RootAccess to delete system files

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
im also trying to delete some of the apps using root explorer. do i need to be rooted? im getting the same msg "file system is read only".. i dont see a "mount as RW"..

Yup, No Root, No R/W ability....