How-to questions

JOlsakovsky

Reaction score
I go a Droid X for work to replace my BB Storm.
I'm overall quite pleased with it, however I have a couple niggling issues:

1 - A coworker recommended a service for obtaining ringtones & notifications (Zedge). They have a good library and I found one I like.
The problem is that when I set the email notification to my preferred ringtone, it always reverts back to the default notification sound.
There is a message saying I need to clear the default notification sound in Settings > Applications > Application Manager.
I see nowhere in that section to clear the default notification sound.

2 - I want to add an icon to my work email on a home screen, but can't figure out how to pull this off.

Any/all help with this would be appreciated.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Ok, First what you need to do if you are using the stock mail client the one that just says "email" with the white envelope. Go to settings/applications/manage applications/and then click "All" up top. Go to email or whichever mail client you are using and hit "Clear Data" This should allow you to install your custom ringtones.

The next question.. If you just want an app on your home screen simply long press it and drag it to wherever you want it. Let me know if this helps.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
If you press clear data it will delete your email server information and you will have to set it all back up. That I learned the hard way. Instead tap on "clear defaults". This will allow the ringtone/notification to be changed. If it requires a sound it might even ask you to set the sound, but I'm only guessing on that. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jsw6380a

Reaction score
If you press clear data it will delete your email server information and you will have to set it all back up. That I learned the hard way. Instead tap on "clear defaults". This will allow the ringtone/notification to be changed. If it requires a sound it might even ask you to set the sound, but I'm only guessing on that. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

It more than likely is NOT going to allow him to clear defaults as it is greyed out.

OP
J

JOlsakovsky

Reaction score
Ok, First what you need to do if you are using the stock mail client the one that just says "email" with the white envelope. Go to settings/applications/manage applications/and then click "All" up top. Go to email or whichever mail client you are using and hit "Clear Data" This should allow you to install your custom ringtones.
The ringtones are installed.
The problem is that the default notifier (set in Settings > Sound) is what is playing when I get an email.
The default notifier is overriding whatever I set up in the email app. I can't see any means of removing the default.

The next question.. If you just want an app on your home screen simply long press it and drag it to wherever you want it. Let me know if this helps.
I can drag the email app.
To be honest, I never thought of that, since I have an icon in Messaging for my Gmail, Facebook and the specific email accounts.

This will work for now, since I only have one email account set up. But what if I have others?
Is there a means of having an icon that goes directly to that mailbox?

I don't have any issue resetting up my mail prefs if I clear out the data.

But I did CLEAR DATA, and it didn't remove any settings at all.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
"This will work for now, since I only have one email account set up. But what if I have others?
Is there a means of having an icon that goes directly to that mailbox?"

If I were you I would download "Maildroid" from the market. If you came from blackberry this will give you the closest to that experience as possible. You can have ONE icon and set up multiple accounts within maildroid. You can then go into maildroid and set up your notifications within there. I am not a huge fan of the stock email client. Give maildroid a try and let me know what happens. :icon_ banana:

xush

Reaction score
"K9" email client lets you make a shortcut to individual accounts/inboxes.
It's also very flexible with notifications

OP
J

JOlsakovsky

Reaction score
I installed MailDroid Free and it is much improved over the default Android email client, and I have the notifications set up how I want.

IT looks like it might be worth springing the $18 for the pro version, just to get rid of the ads.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
I installed MailDroid Free and it is much improved over the default Android email client, and I have the notifications set up how I want.

IT looks like it might be worth springing the $18 for the pro version, just to get rid of the ads.

O the ads....Hahahaha... I figured you would be happy with that mail client... Coming from blackberry its a necessity I feel.. Now that you have this set up, don't ever look back. This phone will do so much more.. :icon_ banana:dancedroid