How to make vibe go on when phone is silent?

trevj

Reaction score
Whenever I turn the sound on my phone of, it turn off vibrate mode as well! I want the phone to vibrate when it is on silent and ring when the sound is on like every other normal phone I have ever owned. How can this be done? I'm tired of missing calls because turning the phone on silent unchecks the "vibrate" option in my settings

solorca

Reaction score
The easiest way is to just use the volume toggle on the side of the phone and toggle to the vibrate option.

OP
T

trevj

Reaction score
Thank you for the tip -

So the sound on / off slider that is on the locked screen turns off vibrate in all cases as well? That seems silly to me, I don't want to have to unlock the phone and then use the hardware button to turn vibe on every time I want the phone on silent. Hmm.

HMJB

Reaction score
Thank you for the tip -

So the sound on / off slider that is on the locked screen turns off vibrate in all cases as well? That seems silly to me, I don't want to have to unlock the phone and then use the hardware button to turn vibe on every time I want the phone on silent. Hmm.

Dont know if you are rooted or not..

But I am using a lock screen mod that that turns vibrate on when you slide it into silent mode. (I am rooted)

OP
T

trevj

Reaction score
Wow, no, I'm not rooted. I am surprised you'd have to root it to get such a basic behavior.

solorca

Reaction score
Different phones function in different ways in this area. I have had phones that required me to use the silent mode feature by holding down #, and I've had phones that had a button on the side. It's just how they make the phones.

The advantage of the droid though, is that someone could probably create an app that handles this without much trouble. I'm just not sure if anyone actually has.

OP
T

trevj

Reaction score
Yeah, I love the phone, this is literally my only complaint with it at all.

DanSan

Reaction score
funny you post this.. my friend who has an iphone was hanging out with his friend who just got a droid. my friend knew i was coo coo for droid puffs and called me up asking me like a million questions and ****. one of them was, his friend wanted the phone to be in silent mode but still vibrate when he gets a call or text. i didnt understand it so i told him just to throw it in vibrate.. it would be doing the same basically.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I actually like this feature for going to the movie theatre and work. I love movies and don't want to be bothered while watching them and am also annoyed when people are on their phones while I'm trying to watch a movie I paid good money to see. At work, I DO periodically check my phone in case someone tried to contact me in an emergency.

If you don't want to use the buttons on the side, there are widgets that will throw your phone into vibrate mode with just a screen press. Also, if you're interested at all in home replacement apps, the status tray on Home++ is REALLY handy for this. Clicking the speaker icon toggles the phone between ring, vibrate, silent, and back again.

Just my opinion and some options, though I can understand why you'd rather just have the ability right on the lockscreen!

Rev. Po-Jay

Reaction score
Can't you just DL "QuickSettings" from the Marketplace? You have the option for Vibrate only with that app.

I am a newb and may be missing something... Let me know.