How to Import eBooks From Computer to SD Card to Kobo Reader

Redjak

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently searched the forums for a solution to my problem, but to no avail. I had seen that you could get the Kindle reader from Amazon on an Android phone and was very excited! I found out that you could also download many free books online to use with your Kindle! But I was dismayed when synchronization between my Kindle Reader for Mac and Kindle for Android didn't occur...leaving my Android Kindle Reader rather useless. Then I found Kobo! Kobo is Border's eReader, and so far I much prefer it. It has similar features to Kindle, but it shows you your books on a bookshelf-like UI, with a little green bookmark logo showing you which books you're already reading. I especially prefer Kobo because I couldn't figure out how to get books from my SD card into Kindle, but with Kobo, it's extremely easy!

So anyway, here's how you do it...

Step 1:
Download an eBook in the ePub format. Kindle's format, .azw, doesn't work with Kobo as far as I can tell. If you already have books in the .azw format, it's not big deal! Download a program called Stanza(for Mac and Windows) and open the .azw book with Stanza. Then go to File>Export As>ePub, and you're set.
Stanza for Mac
Stanza for Windows

Step 2:
Connect your Droid to your computer in Mass Storage Mode, or whatever mode allows you to explore your SD card.

Step 3:
After you've opened your SD card, find the folder titled "Kobo," and open the directory "epub." Simply drag all your .epub files into this folder, and you can eject your SD.

Step 4: (On Droid)
Open your Kobo reader app and open the menu. There will be an option titled Import Content." Press it! A dialogue will come up telling you what Kobo is doing, so just click Start. Then you'll see all the epub books you just put on your SD card, with a check next to it. Check all the items you wish to import, press "Import Selected," and *BAM* ...you've just put books on your Android :)

I use Many Books.net for my eBooks, mainly because it allows you to download the books in different formats, scan the QR code, download the books straight to your phone(so you can skip the computer step), AND it categorizes the books by genre...but you can use whatever you'd like to get your eBooks :)

QR Codes
Here is a link to the Kobo app in the Market for you to scan with a QR reader, as well as a mobile link to Many Books:

Kobo:
Merchandising.ashx

Many Books.net:
img.php

travisn000

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up... I'm mostly a Kindle user, as I find the prices are usually better for paid content, but I've kept the Kobo and Nook apps on my phone "just in case" and usually comparison shop before buying books. If you like the Bookshelf UI, you might also want to take a look at Aldiko, Laputa, or Starbooks eReader apps; they all have some good features, and I'm pretty sure they all also support the ePub format.

Also, the issue you were having with Amazon syncing your content is probably related to the setup of your Kindle account on Amazon... I had similar issues initially, but after digging through my accound settings I realized that amazon was trying to send the books to an old blackberry that I no longer use. Once I deleted the old devices from my kindle account everything worked great.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Wow...glad to see you figured out this...because its almost identical to the steps I gave you on how to do this with Kindle formatted books... in this post on your original thread...:icon_exclaim:

Now, even though the Kindle uses .azw formatted files, all the books I have are in .mobi format...which as far as I can see, works just as well. Only reason I can see that Kindle might have crashed, is possibly going from Mac to DX may have caused it to flake out a bit...

Never-the-less...enjoy the books you have...

OP
R

Redjak

Reaction score
BodyBagz, I either didn't see or didn't read your post, so I find it unfair that you're hinting I stole your content. I did a search here with a few combinations of keywords and couldn't find anything, so I made a post. You don't need to claim that it was originally yours. If it upset you this much, I can put a link to your steps as well, but I can assure you I didn't use your guide as a reference.

Edit: I stand corrected. I DID see your post, but if you go back and look you'll notice your steps didn't work for me. So I did it this way, and it did work, and seems how I couldn't find a guide here on the forums, I wanted to make one for others having a similar issue. This is how it worked for me, so whether or not it's "similar" or "almost identical" to yours, it isn't your guide.

As for the other comments, I've set up various ways of syncing, both through the app/program settings as well as online, and nothing worked, so this way is easiest for me. Thanks for the suggestions though :)