how to group message with iphone users

jls141

Reaction score
Hello, I just switched from an iphone to a GS3. I am involved in a few group texts with other people who all have iphones. I have been searching all over the internet for answers. I have tried Handcent and SMSGO. With Handcent, I have made it my primary messaging app, turned on group text, and downloaded and installed the grouptext from the app. With SMSgo I turned on group, and then checked the box to thread all to one message.

Neither are working. When someone from the group texts me, it comes in as a different text and says "message size: 1KB Expires: then a date." It has a download button. When I click download sometimes it just circles at 0% and doesnt do anything else. Sometimes it just says unable to download.

I am new to android so please any help would be appreciated. This would be a big blow to me keeping this GS3 if I cant get it figured out.

Thank you

lyssa2886

Reaction score
i have the same issue exactly my whole fam are iphone users. we group message every day, and im left out in the cold surely there is a way that does not involve going thru an app! if not the second im up for upgrade im back to iPhone

AlexSB

Reaction score
I have a Bionic and I've been involved in a couple of group chats. I use GO SMS, what you might wanna do is remove handcent, set GO as your primary, and when you get that message just let it be and let it load. That happens to me but it automatically loads for me no problem

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

watkinsw

Reaction score
Hello, I just switched from an iphone to a GS3. I am involved in a few group texts with other people who all have iphones. I have been searching all over the internet for answers. I have tried Handcent and SMSGO. With Handcent, I have made it my primary messaging app, turned on group text, and downloaded and installed the grouptext from the app. With SMSgo I turned on group, and then checked the box to thread all to one message.

Neither are working. When someone from the group texts me, it comes in as a different text and says "message size: 1KB Expires: then a date." It has a download button. When I click download sometimes it just circles at 0% and doesnt do anything else. Sometimes it just says unable to download.

I am new to android so please any help would be appreciated. This would be a big blow to me keeping this GS3 if I cant get it figured out.

Thank you

I am having same issues with my new Samsung GS3. Not perfect yet but getting better. Try this: open Go SMS and then got to the Settings menu, then select Advanced at top, then Application Settings. Make sure Message Grouping is checked. Now go back one to Adv menu and scrolldown to and select the red MMS Settings menu, select Maximum MMS size, and select the largest size your network will handle. I selected 5M since I am 4G and unlimited data. This should help a good bit, let me know. Also post any other solutions you may find. I cant believe Samsung lets this go on. TONS of people have complained about the group texting issue with this phone!

lyssa2886

Reaction score
wish i knew what "go sms was"

I am having same issues with my new Samsung GS3. Not perfect yet but getting better. Try this: open Go SMS and then got to the Settings menu, then select Advanced at top, then Application Settings. Make sure Message Grouping is checked. Now go back one to Adv menu and scrolldown to and select the red MMS Settings menu, select Maximum MMS size, and select the largest size your network will handle. I selected 5M since I am 4G and unlimited data. This should help a good bit, let me know. Also post any other solutions you may find. I cant believe Samsung lets this go on. TONS of people have complained about the group texting issue with this phone!

If it's soppose to be on the phone somewhere, I'm not seein it go sms
thanks for your reply! I sure appreciate it

OP
J

jls141

Reaction score
back to iphone

Thanks for the help guys. I was able to get it to eventually come through as MMS, but it was so laggy on the phone. When the group text was flowing and everyone was talking they would not come in order, and sometimes they wouldnt come at all. I would compare what I was seeing to everyone elses and I was was way off. It would also freeze my phone up trying to receive the data I guess because each text was a MMS. I had to go back to iphone. Now I have no problems. Android got a customer but lost it due to this feature.

Natey2

Reaction score
Get textPlus, set up a free, private/invite-only community, and text via that. Supports pictures and voice recordings too.
Just a thought..

aimeeinohio

Reaction score
I just use the Verizon Messages ap (had to download it from the verizon app store). It works great- looks a lot like iMessage on iPhone, and it's a free app. I was
texting with two iPhone users all day Sunday and Monday. Worked fine.

If you use the stock messaging app in the phone, you can switch it to group message, and it works, HOWEVER, it doesn't tell you who said what, like iMessage
does...The Verizon app is much better.

ChoppaCabrah

Reaction score
I use GoSMS pro. The group text works, it's not as smooth as iMessage but it works.

crapples

Reaction score
I use SMS Go with iPhone users every day. The key is to go into Settings > Advanced Settings > Send Settings. Put a check mark next to MMS Group Chat. Any text you send with multiple recipients will be grouped as an MMS message, just like the iPhone. I use it all the time - no problems.

enb123

Reaction score
Do you guys find Go SMS Pro to be laggy when group messaging? My problem is when people start sending rapid fire messages in a group thread, Go SMS chokes a bit, and I have to wait a while before I can even respond. I like the way it works otherwise, but the lag is a real nuisance on my phone. (Nothing else on my S3 lags ever!)