How to go back to Gingerbread after ICS update?!

C

CoralJade17

I just put ICS on my HTC Rezound and absolutely HATE HATE HATE it!!!!! Please, can anyone tell me how to put Gingerbread back (preferably without having to convert to factory settings, although I'd be willing to do this as a last resort)? I've searched on Google but I honestly don't know what half of the solutions are talking about. I've never messed with any of my gadgets before and technology is NOT my strong suit. If anyone can give me very precise, step-by-step instructions on how to bring my phone back, I would be eternally greatful!!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
OP
C

CoralJade17

Thank you but I am not having any usage problems so far, I just absolutely loathe the new layout. It looks like a 2-year-old formatted it and it's completely disappointing. I just want it to look the way it used to, and not look like the developer would've put everything in comic-sans if that had been an option.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I just put ICS on my HTC Rezound and absolutely HATE HATE HATE it!!!!! Please, can anyone tell me how to put Gingerbread back (preferably without having to convert to factory settings, although I'd be willing to do this as a last resort)? I've searched on Google but I honestly don't know what half of the solutions are talking about. I've never messed with any of my gadgets before and technology is NOT my strong suit. If anyone can give me very precise, step-by-step instructions on how to bring my phone back, I would be eternally greatful!!!

Well...ICS isn't just cosmetic you know...it actually makes your phone function better/more efficiently.
What I think you should do is keep ICS, but download a launcher to change the theme of your phone to something you like more. That way you can keep the OS back end improvements from ICS but it will have a design that you like.

Personally, I wanted a look as close to vanilla ICS as possible, with no sense...so I installed Nova Launcher (at the suggestion of someone here) to get that look and feel. I liked it so much, I bought the Prime version for $4, mainly as a thank you to the developer since the added features with the Prime version are minimal.

But there are other launcher apps you can use that allow for many different themes and styles to be used that you can download and try out, they will completely change the look and feel of the OS.
  • Nova Launcher
  • ADW Launcher
  • Launcher Pro
  • Go Launcher Ex
  • Apex Launcher
  • And there are others.
Here is a link to Lifehacker's reviews of their "Top 5" Android launchers:
Five Best Android Launchers
At the very least, it's fun to play with the different themes.

Being able to install and use a Launcher app is just one of the many great reasons why Android kicks the living sh*t out of iOS. :biggrin:

OP
C

CoralJade17

Yes, "Xander Crews," I'm very well aware of the fact that ICS is not just cosmetic, thank you. And as for it functioning better/more efficiently, my battery life now only lasts about HALF of what it used to (and that's with background apps turned off and screen brightness at less than 25%), and I've heard several similar complaints from others with ICS and found the same on other forums. When I hit messages, the window often comes up with an "unexpected error" and has to close, many of my apps no longer sync properly, and my internet connection is often faulty at best (among multiple other issues). So, consider yourself lucky that you've had such a pleasant experience with ICS, but I still much prefer GB.

Well...ICS isn't just cosmetic you know...it actually makes your phone function better/more efficiently.
What I think you should do is keep ICS, but download a launcher to change the theme of your phone to something you like more. That way you can keep the OS back end improvements from ICS but it will have a design that you like.

Personally, I wanted a look as close to vanilla ICS as possible, with no sense...so I installed Nova Launcher (at the suggestion of someone here) to get that look and feel. I liked it so much, I bought the Prime version for $4, mainly as a thank you to the developer since the added features with the Prime version are minimal.

But there are other launcher apps you can use that allow for many different themes and styles to be used that you can download and try out, they will completely change the look and feel of the OS.
  • Nova Launcher
  • ADW Launcher
  • Launcher Pro
  • Go Launcher Ex
  • Apex Launcher
  • And there are others.
Here is a link to Lifehacker's reviews of their "Top 5" Android launchers:
Five Best Android Launchers
At the very least, it's fun to play with the different themes.

Being able to install and use a Launcher app is just one of the many great reasons why Android kicks the living sh*t out of iOS. :biggrin:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
CoralJade17 said:
Yes, "Xander Crews," I'm very well aware of the fact that ICS is not just cosmetic, thank you. And as for it functioning better/more efficiently, my battery life now only lasts about HALF of what it used to (and that's with background apps turned off and screen brightness at less than 25%), and I've heard several similar complaints from others with ICS and found the same on other forums. When I hit messages, the window often comes up with an "unexpected error" and has to close, many of my apps no longer sync properly, and my internet connection is often faulty at best (among multiple other issues). So, consider yourself lucky that you've had such a pleasant experience with ICS, but I still much prefer GB.

There is no need to be rude to those who are sincerely trying to help you. Xander's suggestion was a great solution to your complaint about the appearance and ui of ICS.

All of the problems listed in your recent post can be resolved by doing a factory data reset which was initially suggested but you followed that up with that you did not have a "usage" problem... which apparently you do as evident by the above post.

If after doing an fdr, you continue to have problems, we can help you troubleshoot from there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
C

CoralJade17

Well excuse me but if someone is going to be condescending then you can bet that I'm going to take issue with that. His "Well...ICS isn't just cosmetic you know..." was absolutely unnecessary, and even if I wasn't aware of this there are other ways he could have put the same information into a statement without being presumptuous. I simply asked if there was a way to go back to gingerbread, NOT for people's opinions on how delightful they found ICS. That's great for them if they like it, but I still find that it as an "upgrade" fails on multiple levels. As for your proposition, I did a factory reset the same day ICS was installed, so no, that does nothing.

There is no need to be rude to those who are sincerely trying to help you. Xander's suggestion was a great solution to your complaint about the appearance and ui of ICS.

All of the problems listed in your recent post can be resolved by doing a factory data reset which was initially suggested but you followed that up with that you did not have a "usage" problem... which apparently you do as evident by the above post.

If after doing an fdr, you continue to have problems, we can help you troubleshoot from there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to step in and call a timeout. CoralJade17 I think you're being a bit too sensitive. If you don't like ICS, you don't like ICS. The answer is that you have to S-Off your phone and get a Gingerbread RUU and run that RUU. S-Off isn't for the weak of heart, and not something I personally suggest and that is the ONLY solution short of getting a replacement phone that hasn't been updated yet. Your next best is to unlock your phone and load a GB ROM with the GB firmware fix. That will get you the look and feel but you'll still have ICS firmware and likely any issues you have with ICS will carry over.

A factory reset after the ICS update will typically solve most of the issues resultant from the update itself. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but that's just the way it is. Now that the facts are out of the way, everyone please try to be a little courteous to others. Any more nonsense and the thread will be closed and removed.

OP
C

CoralJade17

If by me being sensitive you mean that I expect to be treated with respect, then I guess you are right. If this is the sort of response that comes from this forum, then I suppose I should look elsewhere for my answers.

I'm going to step in and call a timeout. CoralJade17 I think you're being a bit too sensitive. If you don't like ICS, you don't like ICS. The answer is that you have to S-Off your phone and get a Gingerbread RUU and run that RUU. S-Off isn't for the weak of heart, and not something I personally suggest and that is the ONLY solution short of getting a replacement phone that hasn't been updated yet. Your next best is to unlock your phone and load a GB ROM with the GB firmware fix. That will get you the look and feel but you'll still have ICS firmware and likely any issues you have with ICS will carry over.

A factory reset after the ICS update will typically solve most of the issues resultant from the update itself. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but that's just the way it is. Now that the facts are out of the way, everyone please try to be a little courteous to others. Any more nonsense and the thread will be closed and removed.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
From what I gathered from all the comments in here, the only problem I've seen you mention is that you dislike the layout and format. To that extent, if that's all you don't like, use a home replacement launcher. If that is not the only thing, would you kindly list everything that you find wrong with ICS? Is it performance, buggy, slow? More detail regarding your issues would help us more in order to help you. Any and all info you can provide will allow us to help you circumvent what you don't like.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
C

CoralJade17

In my third post of this thread, I listed some of the issues I am having: non-existent battery life, problems with my messages and syncing apps, faulty internet connection. I have already done a factory reset and that fixed absolutely nothing.

From what I gathered from all the comments in here, the only problem I've seen you mention is that you dislike the layout and format. To that extent, if that's all you don't like, use a home replacement launcher. If that is not the only thing, would you kindly list everything that you find wrong with ICS? Is it performance, buggy, slow? More detail regarding your issues would help us more in order to help you. Any and all info you can provide will allow us to help you circumvent what you don't like.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
In my third post of this thread, I listed some of the issues I am having: non-existent battery life, problems with my messages and syncing apps, faulty internet connection. I have already done a factory reset and that fixed absolutely nothing.

Have you calibrated the battery since upgrading to ICS? Do you use a third party messaging app? Have you tried readjusting some settings inside the apps you're having issues with? Some settings within android are different between GB and ICS. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time to tinker with certain settings.

Xander Crews

Reaction score

No offense intended. I honestly thought you may have just thought ICS was a cosmetic skin...just trying to rule that out and let you know it wasn't. You did say that your tech knowledge was limited, did you not?
Your initial post mentioned nothing of functionality problems...just that you hated the way ICS looked.
I typed out a long response with, what I thought, was a nice solution for you based on the information you gave at the time.

I was just trying to help you. Sorry if you took offense.

With that said, and after now finding out your phone has "ICS issues" my suggestion still remains the same. Keep ICS and use a launcher...but do a factory reset (again) first. Some folks have said they have had to do a reset a few times. I haven't had that issue though.
But before you do anything else after the reset, see if it is functioning properly for you. Any errors or whatnot. If it is fine, then it looks like the issues are in something you installed. If it's not fine, then I won't be of much help...but I am sure others can offer suggestions...some of which already have.
If the rest worked, then re-install some of your apps and see if the issues come back.
If your phone is functioning fine, then I highly recommend installing a launcher. It's no different than installing an app. It's easy and should satisfy your desire to get rid of the look and feel of ICS.

Oh, and if you have a lot of apps, re-install them through Google Play on your computer. It keeps a list of all apps you had installed at one time or another, and you can re-install them from there. Much faster and easier than doing all of that on your phone.

And I guess it goes without saying to back up your phone before doing the reset? Do an export of any app that stores information you want to keep (that doesn't store it elsewhere online), then backup your entire phone to your computer by copying your phone and sd card contents and pasting to a folder on your computer.
I prefer not to backup apps, but to re-install them manually when the time comes after a factory reset. I may do a little house cleaning by not re-installing some, and I'll get the newest version of the apps as well.

Hope this helps.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
If by me being sensitive you mean that I expect to be treated with respect, then I guess you are right. If this is the sort of response that comes from this forum, then I suppose I should look elsewhere for my answers.

Do with that as you wish but I gave you everything you asked for. You were instigating an issue that had to be put to an end and as a new user on this site I would hope for a little more humility and/or decorum. Everyone attempting to help you is a long time member of this site and honestly if you were to go on any other site and post as you did, you probably would have been flamed out of existence. We're a nice community here and don't need trouble because you didn't like the answer you got. So feel free to move on if you will, or allow the people here that have been in my estimation more than helpful with the assistance provided to do just that.