How to get only CWM onto the Pro

jago25_98

Reaction score
Plenty of guides out there for ROMS. But how do I get just the ClockworkMod bootloader onto the phone that is required before all this for the various ROMS?

I hold
power+vol up&down + X
and I'm given a Bootloader 0.0A

flashing screen.

I then have RSDLite ready, but all .sbf files are full roms. I already have CM9 on the phone but somehow there is no CWM recovery mode so I only need to load on the bootloader.

edit: the buttons to press are always R+M+Power for boot right?

Would be nice to show how flashing with .sbf links to the next stage putting a ROM on and have it as a sticky.

As far as I know:

1) Hold vol up and down keys and hold power on key to turn on phone and get boot loader (not pwr+x like it says at CWM website -wtf?)
2) flash .sbf file
3) Check it boots. Probably doesn't.
4) Boot into recovery mode (hold R + M + Power button until triangle, then press the @ key). Clear all the cache(s)
5) flash a update.zip file you already have stored on the sdcard. There's no internal sdcard so at least this is easier.

Previously I got stuck at stage (5) because the bootloader needs a signed update file. So, I either have to find a signed .zip or find a .sbf file with an unlocked boot loader.
Tips please. This info all really needs to be in a sticky so people know the order of things. Otherwise you just see the .zip file and think wtf?

Last edited:
OP
J

jago25_98

Reaction score
Ack,
I think the M key is dodgy!

Next stage... a bootloader that accepts unsigned .zips?

I found the Droid2 boottrapper but it doesn't actually seem to replace recoverymode. I'm still stuck on 3e, which seems to be locked.
Found it from:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...rces-thread-sbf-root-update-instructions.html

The approach is to forget all the .sbf stuff and just root and use the Droid 2 Bootstrapper(it's a very similar phone)

Hope this helps someone though. I'll keep trying!

edit: What do you do if you get the CWM menu via R + M + Power showing a "!" sign but pressing the @ key does nothing?

Last edited:

JackpotClavin

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Ack,
I think the M key is dodgy!

Next stage... a bootloader that accepts unsigned .zips?

I found the Droid2 boottrapper but it doesn't actually seem to replace recoverymode. I'm still stuck on 3e, which seems to be locked.
Found it from:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...rces-thread-sbf-root-update-instructions.html

The approach is to forget all the .sbf stuff and just root and use the Droid 2 Bootstrapper(it's a very similar phone)

Hope this helps someone though. I'll keep trying!

You can't use clockwork as the primary recovery because the recovery image is signed too just like the boot image. The only thing we have is the d2 bootstrap

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums