How to easily transfer apps, bookmarks and texts to replacement phone?

fiftynites

Reaction score
My 6 month old Razr, recently upgraded to ICS, has a broken earphone jack. So, instead of fixing the little jack, I was given a replacement phone with 5 days to return the bad one (under warantee). So far, I've spent the better part of a day just trying to get all the phone numbers via Google and BU assistant, which did not do a complete job, mainly groups and merging of Facebook contacts and phone contacts, which I'll have to do manually.

NOW, I don't want to spend another day or two with both phones and match up all the special bookmarked websites I have on my homescreens, and so forth.

Is there a faster simpler way? I downloaded the Dolphin browser and the bookmark to sd app, but that keeps asking for the name of the file to transfer from the sd card to the phone, and there's no place to enter that in.

Obviously I'm very frustrated, spending my Labor Day Weekend with 2 phones trying to mesh them together. Any help is a blessing!!

I read and searched for 2 hours this site and google for answers and got to finally ask here....

HELP!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to DF, fiftynites. Yes, there is an easier way. On your old phone use the app from play store, My Backup. Make a backup of the things you want to keep. They will be placed in a folder labeled rerware. Copy this folder onto your PC then from your PC to the SD card of your new phone. (Or you can put the removable sdcard in your old phone, using MyBackup backup what you want onto the external sdcard, then put the sdcard into the new phone). Install MyBackup on your new phone and restore.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
F

fiftynites

Reaction score
My Backup

Thanks for the tip. I did download the app in both phones, with the same name and password. Then backed up the apps from the old phone to the sd card. I tried both changing and leaving the file path the way it was. BUT the new phone gets the error message, "Error: No backups were found at the current backup location path...etc." In my files, in either phone I have the file Devlcon.fil, which can't be opened
:angry:.... What did I do wrong?

I also did it by backing up to the old phone's internal storage, then copied the file rerware to my pc, then to the sd card while in the new phone. It's in there, but still unable find the file, although, now, it can read the files. What should be the file path?

HELP!!

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Let's try this... in the MyBackup app, go to settings and change the backup location to /mnt/sdcard-ext
See if it finds the backup there. If not, go into My Files to find the rerware folder. It may be under internal phone storage. Once you find it, hard press it and choose copy. Then while still in My Files, go back to the main menu and choose SD card... then at bottom, click paste here. Go back to My Backup and see if the restore is able to find the backed up files.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
F

fiftynites

Reaction score
My Backup

Thanks for all your help, but it didn't work. I paid for the pro version, and got their support, which was great, but I think I made the mistake in putting the pro version into my new phone first, and didn't realize that I had 2 versions in that phone, then I had a problem getting the pro version in the old phone, until customer support helped me out. But, still didn't work, although it did say eventually that I did restore data and apps...they never showed up. I sent the old phone back after wiping it clean, and taking the most important info manually.

They were nice enough to refund my purchase, but, I think I just started off on the wrong foot with the whole thing.

Not knowing that without the pro version, one could not transfer data between devices, and doing things backwards.

Now, I have to remove all that extra stuff that's on my sd card, and try to remember and find passwords for the apps I'm now manually reinstalling.

Hope this helps people in the future to not make the same dumb mistakes I did!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thank you fiftynites, that is very very helpful information to have as I was not aware of that either. It helps me in the future to have other options to recommend for people in your same situation. Thank you again!

Edit: I am multi-tasking but I wanted to add that I am sorry that this did not work for you as I hoped it would. What a pain. At least we now know for the future. For now, go into settings, privacy and select back up my data. That, I believe, will back up to your google account but not exactly sure all that it backs up.

Last edited:

helron

Reaction score
Hi Tis- Remember me;-) -- Chicken little!
Well, I finally began the process of backing up my Razr to prepare for Foxkat/matty return to .211 from 215, then to installation of JB. Is there anything I need toknow? I hear losts of chatting about circle widget? What's the scoop on that? Not sure if I will root. yet. Want to try out phone with JB. So u know is VZ will support phone with JB? Do they have any idea who was actually selected to receive the "accidental" Xmas OTA update? Thanks in advance!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hi helron! Yes, I remember you! My opinion is to wait for the official OTA release of JB because (I keep saying), its release is any day now. Problem is I've been saying that since December, lol! I'm not 100% sure but I think once on the leaked update you will not be able to receive the official OTA (someone, FoxKat, please correct me on this). Circle widget is a clock-weather widget that comes with JB. My opinion, it's nice for a little while but I ended up going back to my third party widgets that take up less space but do more.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Circle widgets lasted on my phone for about 1 day. just saying. Hello Tis.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hi Lloyd! Same here... it didn't last too long on my phone.

helron

Reaction score
As always, THANKS!
I will hunt around and try to ascertain if installing JB leak will prevent us from obtaining official OTA version.
I can wait a while longer. However, if we go past April 1st, and OTA still hasn't been pushed, MOTO is playing us for AprilFools! LOL LOL

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I 100% agree, lol!

helron

Reaction score
It is pretty much easy to copy data like music, video, photos between phones but transferring operating system-dependent things like text messages/SMS, Contact List, Call Log can be a bit trickier.
But there are programs available which allow you to transfer data from phone to phone.

Thanks to all. Since last post, I have rooted, installed Safestrap and tried different Roms. I'm slowly learning, but learning with all the help I've received here! Thank u all, so much!

howardgavin

Reaction score
When you will switch, the files will remain in your history. As your apps download history is archived in your Gmail account, it will be very easy for you to re-download them to your new phone. Just sync the phones and you will know!