How to Disable voice input commands

Bithawk

Reaction score
I deleted all my cloud photos and re-booted the smartphone and now I am unable to do text inputing, only voice activated inputs. How do I disable voice input commands so I can input text instead. This happens with all text input fields such as Google search, text messaging and play music as well as my GPS app, Backcountry Navigator.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's odd, deleting pics should have had no impact on your keyboard. Very strange. What do things look like in Settings > Language & Input > Virtual Keyboard? Is GBoard there and setup?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Bithawk

Bithawk

Reaction score
Thanks for responding, Sajo. In Virtual Keyboard I see Manage keyboards. When I tap on this, I see six switches Google Japan, Korean, Pinyin, Zhuyin, voice typing(automatic) greyed out and Indic Keyboard(English) greyed out. When I tab the Google indic keyboard nothing happens but when I tap the Korean input, the Google indic keyboard activates or lights up but my virtual keyboard for inputs is still replaced by the voice(mic) option when I tap the input field(Google Search or any other apps). The Google voice typing input remains greyed out and nothing happens when I tap it. Should I consider doing a factory reset or is there a easier way to resolve this issue?:confused:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It sounds like somehow the default keyboard (GBoard) was either disabled or uninstalled. When you go to Settings > Apps > All Apps do you see GBoard? And is it Enabled? If it's not listed there is it available to download in the Play Store App?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I agree with sajo that this is very odd. Hopefully doing a factory data reset would not be necessary. I usually try clearing data cache when I have problems... sometimes works. Go to settings, storage, then select cached data. This may not help but worth a try.

You could also try uninstalling any keyboard apps that were installed, then re-installing them. You could also try installing another keyboard app... maybe Gboard. See if that keyboard will allow you to do text input.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Oops, didn't see sajo's post when I posted. Try sajo's idea first.

Last edited:
OP
Bithawk

Bithawk

Reaction score
It sounds like somehow the default keyboard (GBoard) was either disabled or uninstalled. When you go to Settings > Apps > All Apps do you see GBoard? And is it Enabled? If it's not listed there is it available to download in the Play Store App?

Bingo! I found that GBoard under All Apps was disabled. I enabled it and my keyboard inputs came back to life. I have no idea how this app was disabled. I haven't made any other major changes since the OS update in late February-2017 and the cloud photos that I deleted. It remains a mystery to me. Thanks for all your help and patience.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Great news Bithawk! Glad you got it working again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good deal, glad things are working correctly now and now Factory Data Reset.