How to disable bloat

William_04_x

Reaction score
This is only for apps you you didn't DL, as they can be uninstalled.

Open your app drawer, long press the app you want to disable, and drag it to the top of the screen where it says more options. An option screen should pop up and select app info. On the app info screen in the upper right corner you will have the option to either uninstall updates, or disable. Click disable if available. Once disabled, it won't show up in your app drawer, and shouldn't run in the background.

View attachment 51395

If not, uninstall the updates, and go through the the process from the beginning again. The second time around the option to disable should be available. This is what I saw with google +. Although disabled, I was prompted to update it the next time I checked my apps in the PS.

To re-enable an app, open your app drawer and hit the hard menu button on the bottom of your phone. Tap manage apps. Make sure you are on the All list. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the list and your disabled apps are listed.

View attachment 51396

Click the app you want back, click enable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Last edited:
OP
William_04_x

William_04_x

Reaction score
Now it looks as if updates won't be prompted for disabled apps. :)

rdgxray

Reaction score
Can someone post a list of bloat items that are safe to disable?
Some items seem important like voicemail app, but is this just a link to Verizon's visual voicemail? A list of items to disable with a short reason why they are just bloat would be nice. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
VZW has made it so you can't do this with some of their pre-installed apps. I saw that coming. :angry:

OP
William_04_x

William_04_x

Reaction score
Garemlin said:
VZW has made it so you can't do this with some of their pre-installed apps. I saw that coming. :angry:

What can't you get rid of? I haven't found one yet.

rdgxray

Reaction score
Here is a list of what I disabled :
Kindle
Color
Facebook
Google+
Mog
Motoactiv
NFL mobile
Slacker
Vcast tones
Verizon video
Video calling
Vz navigator
Motoprint

Did I miss any other obvious bloat ware others have disabled?
Is there a good reason any of these shouldn't be disabled?

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
What can't you get rid of? I haven't found one yet.

I haven't played with it that much yet to see which ones. But the first one I tried was Motoactv.

Caesars

Reaction score
Anyone know what this app "color" is? It wants to link to my fb and I don't want anything that's going to spam my wall with "Caesars wants you to join him in color" lol.

Caesars

Reaction score
Ty

OP
William_04_x

William_04_x

Reaction score
Garemlin said:
I haven't played with it that much yet to see which ones. But the first one I tried was Motoactv.

Motoactv is one where you go through the process and uninstall the updates, then start from the app drawer and repeat process. The disable option should be available the second time.

View attachment 51419

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Color is actually pretty cool. Streams live video to your FB page. I actually had it installed already.

Tap'd from my Maxx

Technoman

Reaction score
Color is actually pretty cool. Streams live video to your FB page. I actually had it installed already.

Tap'd from my Maxx

Color is irritating and annoying. Once you install it, it nags you to death.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Caesars

Reaction score
Are we able to freeze processes? Actual apps I have the gist of, but things like that zumo crap, I can't figure out how to freeze. I went to manage apps-but the disable option is greyed out, I'm sure a 1click root will be out soon either way :).

Tracey4

Reaction score
I don't have ICS yet, but I did go into the app manager and tried uninstalling some bloatware just to see what would happen. I was successfully able to uninstall Blockbuster and Goto meeting. Is that normal? I thought they were apps that couldn't be removed? Now I'm worried when ICS comes it won't install properly if I'm missing my bloatware.