How to become a Droid X user on a budget

JohnBo

Reaction score
Hi everybody, yes I'm brand new here.

Background:
I recently decided that I want an iPhone for a whole bunch of stuff that it can do, the actual phone part being least among them. Really I want a high-end ipod (or ipad, but prefer smaller) touch with GPS, so figured I'd pick up a used iphone 3gs off ebay for a couple hundred bucks or so. After some work I learned I'll be lucky to get 1 in good shape for under 300, and during that time I also learned that I'd much rather have a Droid X anyway. As a wrinkle here, my wife and I have been using voice&text phones on a verizon family plan for years, so using a DX also as a phone might be a nice bonus, and of course adding some 3G.

Observations and Questions:
I see many DX selling on ebay (not nearly as many as the sub-4 3gs though ofc) so I'm wondering about buying a used DX.
Are buyers mostly like me, after a vastly superior ipod to use on wifi?
Or more likely buyers who are already on a verizon data plan and just want to upgrade their phone (or replace one they dropped in the pool) without a contract extension?

I'm thinking it'll make sense for me to get a DX that I could activate with verizon if I decide to at some point. Regardless I won't buy one with a disabled ESN since that seems to be supporting theft, and to be honest those auctions don't seem to be going for a lot less so the temptation is trivial.
But verizon disables a phone's ESN if the owner stops paying, right?
So I guess the only way to do it somewhat safely is: win the auction, confirm ESN, pay with paypal, switch phone number to DX and activate it when it arrives (if ESN went bad and this fails, file claim with ebay/paypal, etc.)?
But if the seller doesn't stiff verizon, meaning s/he swapped another phone to the plan or payed verizon the buyout on it, the ESN should remain valid indefinately, right?
Will Verizon allow me to swap my # over to a DX (or any smart phone) on my current plan (no data plan in it)? I'm pretty sure: NO.

I've heard of some people getting a new DX cheap while signing up for verizon's 2 year data service. Right now by the way, they seem to offer 2 basic options: no-limit for $30/mo or 150MB-limit for $15/mo. But the DX itself is still the original $200 from verizon, but since my phone is over 3 years old they take $50 off, but 1 friend got it from costco for about 100 and another from verizon for pretty much free. I checked out wirefly and they will sell it for $80 with a 2yr family plan upgrade, but they don't offer the $15/mo data option and the cheapest base plan is $70 (ours is currently $50 - $7.50 (employer-based discount)).
Is there a way to buy the DX from wirefly or amazon (or whatever) and still get verizon to only tack on the $15/mo for data?
Or is my best bet to just go to to a verizon store (lots around me) and work with them?
Do they sell DXs for cheaper (special limited time offer!) now and then? On line or by verizon itself? Think I've heard some about this. Am I better off just to wait for a deal - maybe even after christmas?

Oh and since my plan is to rely on wifi,
Can you turn on/off 3G easily on the DX? Same for wifi? I'm pretty sure you can but just wanna be damn sure :)
Also, I noticed some on this forum had issues getting 802.11n to work and there was some doubt if it's supported. Most specs I see state that it is, and I couldn't imagine such a new wifi device not supporting it. On a motorola forum they say you need to make sure the router is not using the band around 5 GHz at all, only 2.4:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/186208
Once mentioned it makes sense that a handheld won't support 5 GHz but I'm not sure I'd have thought of that.

So any answers to any of these questions would be appreciated, as well as related thoughts, comments, tips. I did search around for info and I think I do kinda get it, but want to make sure, and I know advice from vets can be really helpful.

superhack

Reaction score
Wow ... cheap DroidX check out Amazonwireless I believe they should have it for a family plan with no change to plan other than tacking on DATA for $119 i think. Turning off 3G / Wireless can be done with power controls not sure how turning 3G off will impact the phone? I dont have any issues with my Wifi have a Linksys WRt160N and over Wifi doing a speedtest its the same speed my PC gets with the internet 22Mbps. I had a original DROID for a couple of months and then verizon hooked me up with a DROID X at discount not sure why as my contract wasnt up till April 2011? but I still paid $150 but overall I like the phone alot and the screen being bigger is much nicer than my original droid

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are buyers mostly like me, after a vastly superior ipod to use on wifi?

No idea, sorry.

Or more likely buyers who are already on a verizon data plan and just want to upgrade their phone (or replace one they dropped in the pool) without a contract extension?

Not likely -- DX hasnt been out long enough for this sort of scenario to be that prevalent

I'm thinking it'll make sense for me to get a DX that I could activate with verizon if I decide to at some point.

Then you should avoid EBay or Craigslist completely

Regardless I won't buy one with a disabled ESN since that seems to be supporting theft and it will be useless to you, and to be honest those auctions don't seem to be going for a lot less so the temptation is trivial.
But verizon disables a phone's ESN if the owner stops paying, right? Doesnt matter, once it's disabled, it's disabled -- no way to undo it
So I guess the only way to do it somewhat safely is: win the auction, confirm ESN, pay with paypal, switch phone number to DX and activate it when it arrives (if ESN went bad and this fails, file claim with ebay/paypal, etc.)? The only safe way is to find another way of buying the phone. See previous warnings.
But if the seller doesn't stiff verizon, meaning s/he swapped another phone to the plan or payed verizon the buyout on it, the ESN should remain valid indefinately, right? Yes, but I dont see this as common with such a new phone
Will Verizon allow me to swap my # over to a DX (or any smart phone) on my current plan (no data plan in it)? I'm pretty sure: NO. You're right -- you need the data plan to activate the phone.

I've heard of some people getting a new DX cheap while signing up for verizon's 2 year data service. Right now by the way, they seem to offer 2 basic options: no-limit for $30/mo or 150MB-limit for $15/mo. But the DX itself is still the original $200 from verizon, but since my phone is over 3 years old they take $50 off, but 1 friend got it from costco for about 100 and another from verizon for pretty much free. I checked out wirefly and they will sell it for $80 with a 2yr family plan upgrade, but they don't offer the $15/mo data option and the cheapest base plan is $70 (ours is currently $50 - $7.50 (employer-based discount)).
Is there a way to buy the DX from wirefly or amazon (or whatever) and still get verizon to only tack on the $15/mo for data?
Or is my best bet to just go to to a verizon store (lots around me) and work with them?
Do they sell DXs for cheaper (special limited time offer!) now and then? On line or by verizon itself? Think I've heard some about this. Am I better off just to wait for a deal - maybe even after christmas?

I dont really understand, but I promise you that 150mb of data is not enough to use the phone, even for e-mail.

Oh and since my plan is to rely on wifi,
Can you turn on/off 3G easily on the DX? Same for wifi? Wifi always supersedes 3G if available. I'm pretty sure you can but just wanna be damn sure :)
Also, I noticed some on this forum had issues getting 802.11n to work and there was some doubt if it's supported. Most specs I see state that it is, and I couldn't imagine such a new wifi device not supporting it. On a motorola forum they say you need to make sure the router is not using the band around 5 GHz at all, only 2.4:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/186208
Once mentioned it makes sense that a handheld won't support 5 GHz but I'm not sure I'd have thought of that. It should support N -- remember that people dont usually post on forums about things that work, so what you're reading is the small percentage of people who dont have it working properly.

So any answers to any of these questions would be appreciated, as well as related thoughts, comments, tips. I did search around for info and I think I do kinda get it, but want to make sure, and I know advice from vets can be really helpful.

Welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer as best I can (in red). Keep in mind that I dont advise buying anything on E-bay if you have any desire to ever put it on the Verizon network. There are too many stolen phones out there, and it's just not worth the headache.

Also, keep in mind that the Mods arent big on discussing buying and selling phones, so dont go into specifics.

Cyberpolice

Reaction score
I would like to help you with some of your questions. I think that buying a phone without guarantee can be dangerous but that's your own decision.
1) Reading books is great just like kindly or Nook. Also, we have a couple reading app for free.
2) Wifi work great and now with the new update even better.
3) You can use Google talk to save money on txt.

I hope this help.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
J

JohnBo

Reaction score
(my ramblings and some replies omitted)
Wifi always supersedes 3G if available...
It should support N -- remember that people dont usually post on forums about things that work, so what you're reading is the small percentage of people who dont have it working properly.

Welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer as best I can (in red). Keep in mind that I dont advise buying anything on E-bay if you have any desire to ever put it on the Verizon network. There are too many stolen phones out there, and it's just not worth the headache.

Also, keep in mind that the Mods arent big on discussing buying and selling phones, so dont go into specifics.
Thanks for all the answers.

I figured (and noticed) discussing any use of a ESN-disabled DX would (and should) be discouraged, even nuked. But buying a good used is also - why, is this site supported by motorola? Well anyway, point taken, thanks again.

But about ebay being so uncertain, forget for buying a DX, isn't that true of anything? I mean, say this is a baseball card forum and I asked about the ins-and-outs of buying a mint Cal Ripkin rookie card on ebay, the answer be: that's too risky, you could pay them, then they just send you a lump of dog poo. So one could buy a "Droid X with Clean ESN" and receive something else in the mail - but my question is:
If I get a DX and activate it as my new phone on Verizon is it then good for sure or can something happen with the previous owner to change that later?

To paraphrase the data plan / wifi stuff, I'm considering 2 options to maybe save some $$:
1) Get a DX (say, pay full price, my dad dies and leaves me his, whatever) and just use it with wifi, with the 3G off.
2) Get a DX as my new phone (now don't need to carry the lame old one) with the 150 MB/mo plan and use it with wifi, with the 3G off. Also, if once in a while I really need the internet but wifi is not convenient I can activate the 3G for a few.
I just want to make sure those are feasible.

And yes it seems wifi works fine for most, it's mostly the few with problems who discuss it often on the net :)

OP
J

JohnBo

Reaction score
I would like to help you with some of your questions. I think that buying a phone without guarantee can be dangerous but that's your own decision.
1) Reading books is great just like kindly or Nook. Also, we have a couple reading app for free.
2) Wifi work great and now with the new update even better.
3) You can use Google talk to save money on txt.

I hope this help.

Sent from my DROIDX

It did help, thanks for your added input. Google talk is a good point, I could get a plan with unlimited data but very limited texts, and set it up to use google talk for texts.

OP
J

JohnBo

Reaction score
Wow ... cheap DroidX check out Amazonwireless I believe they should have it for a family plan with no change to plan other than tacking on DATA for $119 i think. Turning off 3G / Wireless can be done with power controls not sure how turning 3G off will impact the phone? I dont have any issues with my Wifi have a Linksys WRt160N and over Wifi doing a speedtest its the same speed my PC gets with the internet 22Mbps. I had a original DROID for a couple of months and then verizon hooked me up with a DROID X at discount not sure why as my contract wasnt up till April 2011? but I still paid $150 but overall I like the phone alot and the screen being bigger is much nicer than my original droid
Thanks for your input. I tried Amazon and wirefly but couldn't get through the menus without it making me get a beefed up plan - I think I'll just talk to verizon people and see what I can do there. And thanks, good to know I can turn off 3G when I don't need it.