How time turned facts into myths.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I sit here and look at the 8 month revolution of the droid. I want to go through history about what was considered facts and proved to be myths. Some of the stuff was cuz of rumors, others because of the good job of the dev community.

1) rooting: when rooting was first introduced it involved a lot of adb and it was believed that you could brick your phone if you messed up. Well it now appears that it is hard to brick your device. I only know one person to have bricked their device.

2) overclocking: Man I remember the fear and concerned about people pushing their devices. I remember a comment on this forum thinking that people would burn out their processors. It was big for me to o/c my device to 800. INow thanks to the advancement in kernels devices are being o/c from 1100-1250.

3) 2.1 can not be rooted. Well this was and is still true. So actually a fact. But thanks to rsdlite 2.1 is rootable.

4) If you power off or if your phone gets unplugged while running rsdlite, it will be bricked. Well I for one had to unplug and do a battery pull. So that has been proved wrong.

Man I would like to hear some more, so from those who been here awhile post your fav myth.

Reaction score
My favorite is that 2.1 was coming, now its that 2.2 is coming, next will be when 2.3/3.0 will be released

But seriously, how about the wifi tethering will void your contract. Or if you take the plastic off the back of the screen your phone will fall apart from the friction

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I remember one night there was this mysterious OTA update that was possibly going to make everyone lose Root Access, I was going to wrap my Droid in aluminum foil like a baked potato and hide it under my bed...turned out it was nothing

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Also Ima take the time to thank all those who helped make these myths just that myths.:

The Admin staff (John, Dan, Doug,Sam, Jim, if I missed some one my apologies): they help put this together and organized it all.
BigLou: dude made a guide that helped everyday people understand root
Droidmod crew: Made rooting easy
Pete: bugless beast help continue to push devs to make better roms
Adamz: adamz roms
Chevy: his kernels help start o/c for the droids
Cyanogen/Koush: they provided a lot of codes amd info that are incorporated in a lot of roms today.
Droidlife: They continue to help provide videos and info to help the droid community
The droid/ android forums
p3
belkit

if i forgot any one feel free to add.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
The myth that the mysterious 63MB download that a very few people got by accident was something of a "maintenance patch".

Talk about hysteria that wouldnt go away!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember one night there was this mysterious OTA update that was possibly going to make everyone lose Root Access, I was going to wrap my Droid in aluminum foil like a baked potato and hide it under my bed...turned out it was nothing
I was getting a FRU the next day so I said I'd be the guinea pig to see if this was true or not. I had fun that night when I found out that it was bunk and everyone was asking for updates on my progress.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was getting a FRU the next day so I said I'd be the guinea pig to see if this was true or not. I had fun that night when I found out that it was bunk and everyone was asking for updates on my progress.

I remember that very thread!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey he got mention on droid life

New Android 2.1 Updates Locking Down Droids?

On 05.04.10, In News, Root (unlock), by Kellex

Over the last few days, anyone still running Android 2.0.1 on their Motorola Droid should have received another 2.1 OTA update notification. And why is that significant? Because the users that are receiving this new notification had previously blocked it using SPRecovery.
We’re still not 100% sure what this new update does to your device, but if you are running a 2.0.1 ROM, continue to have SPRecovery or Clockworkmod Recovery installed as your recovery image or you may see your root access taken away without an easy return method.
Some are speculating that this new 2.1 update includes a new baseband for phones whose did not update initially and possibly blocks the method we used to flash the SPRecovery SBF to change the recovery image on a stock 2.1 Droid. Like I said, we’re not 100% sure.
It should also be noted that this 2.1 update is 69MB while the originaly update sent a month ago was only about 15MB. This definitely looks like an entire system image rather than a simple patch.
Update 5/5 8:02AM: Vulcan1600Rider over at DroidForums.net has tested the new update and was able to gain root access. Definitely not locked down. (Yay!)
You can download the file here.
The word from DroidMod earlier today…
Another OTA update has appeared. Users who have rooted, but are not using SPRecovery should take extreme care, as this update contains a complete /system image, which means that it will not break the way the previous one did; it will simply erase /system and flash a complete image. If you already have SPRecovery flashed, you can safely accept the update as you did with the ESE81 update.
Let’s just say that it would be a great disappointment to hear that Motorola or Google would be attempting to lock down this device. A big sector of their users are committed to this device simply because it is easy to customize and I would hate to see them lose it.
Anyone receive this notification?
Cheers OldNuc!

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey he got mention on droid life

New Android 2.1 Updates Locking Down Droids?

On 05.04.10, In News, Root (unlock), by Kellex

Over the last few days, anyone still running Android 2.0.1 on their Motorola Droid should have received another 2.1 OTA update notification. And why is that significant? Because the users that are receiving this new notification had previously blocked it using SPRecovery.
We’re still not 100% sure what this new update does to your device, but if you are running a 2.0.1 ROM, continue to have SPRecovery or Clockworkmod Recovery installed as your recovery image or you may see your root access taken away without an easy return method.
Some are speculating that this new 2.1 update includes a new baseband for phones whose did not update initially and possibly blocks the method we used to flash the SPRecovery SBF to change the recovery image on a stock 2.1 Droid. Like I said, we’re not 100% sure.
It should also be noted that this 2.1 update is 69MB while the originaly update sent a month ago was only about 15MB. This definitely looks like an entire system image rather than a simple patch.
Update 5/5 8:02AM: Vulcan1600Rider over at DroidForums.net has tested the new update and was able to gain root access. Definitely not locked down. (Yay!)
You can download the file here.
The word from DroidMod earlier today…
Another OTA update has appeared. Users who have rooted, but are not using SPRecovery should take extreme care, as this update contains a complete /system image, which means that it will not break the way the previous one did; it will simply erase /system and flash a complete image. If you already have SPRecovery flashed, you can safely accept the update as you did with the ESE81 update.
Let’s just say that it would be a great disappointment to hear that Motorola or Google would be attempting to lock down this device. A big sector of their users are committed to this device simply because it is easy to customize and I would hate to see them lose it.
Anyone receive this notification?
Cheers OldNuc!

amazing how 2 months later motorola....locked down their device lol.....hopefully they figure out how to turn the unrootable droid x into a myth.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
thought about one more. That if you had clockwork recovery on your dvice that it would not be able to be removed.