How is this possible? (Beautiful Widgets battery drain; Never ran)

GHII

Reaction score
Today I did a clean wipe of my phone, installed the new Bugless Beast 1.0, and started installing my usual apps. Here is the weird thing, I've always gotten a full battery all day regardless if I was running stock or modified ROMS. But today about halfway I had about 20% left, so I checked the battery use in the settings and it said Beautiful Widgets took 41% of my battery. Now here's what's weird, I've never ran BW's, I just installed it. I've been using weather widget donate. Before I've ran beautiful widgets and never had a problem, but that was actually RUNNING it. How can an app dramatically drain my battery without ever being ran, even once?

tktouch12

Reaction score
thats pretty weird. it could be that your battery usage is just confused. for the couple days i was on bb 7.6 my usage was crazy. it would only have like 4 things listed after a full day of use and i had crazy readings. something is obviously killing your battery, so it is something different, but dont rely on battery usage on bb to tell you what that app using it is.

OP
G

GHII

Reaction score
I thought it might be off, but I do know my battery was way too low too early in the day. Thanks for the reply, i'll keep an eye out for what's causing it.

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Make sure you've installed set cpu and are running on your normal 550 MHz setting for the day. If It's been overclocked between 900 1.25 Ghz, then you'll run out of battery faster than a scruffy nerf herder.

OP
G

GHII

Reaction score
My profiles are

Charging
600 max
250 min

Sleep/Standby
600 max
250 min

Power <100%
800 max
250 min

Failsafe Profile
Battery > 40c
600 max
250 min

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Hmm, then perhaps it is beautiful widgets. Run a control test with it uninstalled for a full charge cycle and see if your battery performance changes.

daftlush

Reaction score
Make sure you've installed set cpu and are running on your normal 550 MHz setting for the day. If It's been overclocked between 900 1.25 Ghz, then you'll run out of battery faster than a scruffy nerf herder.

no... no... YOU my nerf herder!

jbsangel

Reaction score
I don't have any custom ROMs running or anything, but I did notice one time when I wasn't using any of the widgets, but just had beautiful widgets installed, that it was accounting for battery life for me, albeit not 41%.

I use battery left widget, which has a button to expose the battery history screen for the Droid (there are other apps that will expose this screen too). I saw that Beatiful Widgets was going haywire waking my phone up from sleep. I think it might have been using the GPS too, but I can't remember now. I uninstalled it since I wasn't using any of the widgets at the time anyway.

I have since reinstalled it because I'm using the widgets again, but I've never seen that oddity again.

I would get spare parts, battery left, battery status, better cut or some app that lets you see the battery history screen so you can see why Beautiful Widgets is draining your battery (is it waking it frmo sleep, using the gps, consuming cpu cycles, etc?) and maybe just try an uninstall/reinstall. There's also a # code you can dial to see the screen without installing any apps, but i can't remember what it is now. Sorry.

My guess is that just having it installed it is one of those apps that just starts up on its own, and i guess goes haywire for some reason. I also don't use the fb app, and have it set to never update, yet it is always showing in my partial wake usage and in the usage screen as using my battery, yet i don't even use it.

Last edited:

devil94

Reaction score
I use battery left widget, which has a button to expose the battery history screen for the Droid (there are other apps that will expose this screen too). I saw that Beatiful Widgets was going haywire waking my phone up from sleep. I think it might have been using the GPS too, but I can't remember now. I uninstalled it since I wasn't using any of the widgets at the time anyway.

I too have recently noticed a spike in battery consumption by Beautiful Widgets. I'm 10 hrs after unplug, battery level (using batter left widget) is at 43%, with 60% of the battery consumption by BW.

I've gone ahead and turned off GPS for location acquisition, but that was never an issue until just recently.

Is it possible a recent BW update is causing this issue?