How do I unlock after Device Manager lock?

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
My son screwed up and as a punishment, until I was able to lock down his usage via Verizon, I used device manager to lock his phone. Now, I can't get it to unlock.

I used DM to set a code as required, but his mother (with him this week and has his phone) can't seem to get it unlocked. I don't have the luxury at this point to see the phone myself, but she says that when she hits the button to unlock, the keypad is only visible for seconds. I changed the code to simple 4 digits, all the same, and put it on the displayed message (to ensure it updated). Still, she barely gets the numbers pressed and the keys disappear and nothing.

Never having done it myself, I can't advise other than to say to look for something to press after.

Has anyone done this? The help pages within google say the DM can lock the phone if stolen or lost, but what about when you find it?

Thanks

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This is a very strange set of circumstances. There is no reasonable explanation I can think of that would indicate that the keys should disappear before having sufficient time to enter the code allowing you to unlock the Phone.

Hopefully someone here can shed some light on possible causes and possibly a solution to the issue.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I tried to replicate on 3 devices. All of them show my message and allow me to unlock.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Your best bet at this point would be to take it into a corporate Verizon store. They can reset it for you. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your best bet at this point would be to take it into a corporate Verizon store. They can reset it for you. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n
Yup, heading there shortly. His mom tried again this morning and brought it to me and said that a message saying that one more failed attempt and it will factory reset.

Still, not that I'd losse sleep if that happened ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_20160621_160829308 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20160621_160829308 (Medium).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 248
Reactions: cr6

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Found this on another forum. Apparently this is a big problem though I've not heard of it before. Said to mostly affect newest version of Android on Samsung products.

1e87d11b7e08fa0d283ca805e1933618.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

surya kumar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
redmi note 3
  1. After you've tried multiple times to unlock your device, you'll see "Forgot pattern" on your lock screen. Touch Forgot pattern.
  2. When prompted, enter the Google Account username and password you previously added to your device.
  3. Reset your device's screen lock.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to update this. I explained to the Verizon person what happened and she looked at it and appeared to turn it off and on again. And it was at the normal lock screen. I put in my son's code and it unlocked. when I asked what she did, she said "I reset it". "how?"
That's when she kind of avoided the answer and tried to move on, but I wasn't going to let it go. She said she pressed the power and the up(?) button, might have been the down button but I referenced doing that in the old days when a phone would freeze and would not reboot.

Anyway, I turned on the screen and turned it back on again, and there was the Device Mgr locked screen again. Oddly, she pressed the back button and it went to the regular lock screen.

I went in and took DM out of administrator (turned it off), changed the lock screen to None, rebooted and put everything back. So far, no more issues.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
  1. After you've tried multiple times to unlock your device, you'll see "Forgot pattern" on your lock screen. Touch Forgot pattern.
  2. When prompted, enter the Google Account username and password you previously added to your device.
  3. Reset your device's screen lock.
But with the Device Manager, it didn't have that option. Different than the regular security unlock you set yourself.