How do I take a good photo

webb34

Reaction score
First off I really hope I put this in the right section of the forum. If not I apologize :D

Anywho, whenever I see a photo taken by someone else it seems to be a really high quality photo. Not only is it stable without any blurryness but it also has really nice lighting an all that. It just looks incredible. So I'm wondering, what does it take to snap a great photo? There has to be a way with the incredible camera on my Droid X. Are there settings I can tweak? or do I have to do it later in software?

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Should be able to tap the screen when in camera mode and see the settings. Then you can tweak what is available in the camera. You also have the option to edit the photo in something similar to picasa (take the photo, select it after taking, then select edit). The editing you can do also enhances the clarity and brings out detail.

detroitwilly

Reaction score
These phones don't take very good pictures inside. Outside with good lighting, you'll get great pics. If I do get a good one inside, it's because I had a lot of light.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your right for some reason these $600 phones don't take very good pics but the editing helps a lil bit

OP
webb34

webb34

Reaction score
Thanks

I tried out Picasa and it worked like a charm. It doesn't look quite as good as others but it is a huge improvement.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
I can tell you that the Global does not take great photos but can't complain, its not a real camera per say.

Aloha from Hawaii ... Droid 2 Global

rjsurfer

Reaction score
The cameras in smart phones or all phones for that matter stink I don't care if you have 200 million mega pixels, remember the lens on a cell phone is plastic and is the size of a sesame seed. Anyone that thinks that they can great pictures in all conditions isn't thinking straight.

When they build these cameras into the phones they engineer it to be a compromise, sometimes certain phones will work better in low light than others sometimes the focal range is better close up than distance NONE can do all things well.

If taking good pictures is an important part of the decision making process in what phone you buy check beforehand and see what phone does the best in the conditions you find most important. Is low light important, is it field of view etc..

For example the Droid isn't the best in low light.

Ron W.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
I think we all know the real purpose of a cell phone. yes most of us realize its not your typical CAMERA so yes most of are thinking straight.
I just say adjust your settings in certain situations such sunset to night photos. it still may not be that crisp quality, but you never know

Aloha from Hawaii ... Droid 2 Global

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Best advice would be to make sure you have lots of light, and use that flash! Use the on screen button to reduce movement as well. You can always add brightness with the built in editor, but if its taken in poor lighting, it will be grainy no matter how you edit it.

hfx

Reaction score
what the other guys said. you have to have lots of light, or a real steady hand.
The brighter the subject, the less time the shutter has to stay open for the image to be saved. If the subject is dim, the shutter stays open longer and any little move you make captures the image from those small, different perspectives which causes blur.

tj1772

Reaction score
Set it to highest setting (8 meg). Outdoor use landscape and indoor use night (flash). For me this works the best. I don't use the auto option.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Motorola puts poor quality camera lenses in their phones. They only work well in conditions where the is lighting is very good. Just because the mega pixels are high doesn't mean the camera is necessarily good, just high resolution.

OP
webb34

webb34

Reaction score
Sweet I took a photo of my sister's dog Boomer and here is how it came out after editing
96t7D

nateboro

Reaction score
Good Photos w/ Droid X

The phone is very capable of taking great photos. The single most important thing to remember while taking the photo is that you need good lighting.

If you have poor lighting, the photo will end up grainy, no matter how much you play with it in post processing. Whether you use natural light or bring in some off-camera lighting (flashlight, lamp, whatever) your subject needs to be well lit.

Beyond that, just get creative. Try to see things from a different perspective!

I have a blog to prove that camera phones (namely Droid's) can take great photos. I've been using the Droid X for this and will continue to do so unless it breaks or I drown it trying to take underwater photos.

Android 365

Best of luck!

Nate

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you have poor lighting, the photo will end up grainy, no matter how much you play with it in post processing.
I think understanding what the sensor considers "good" lighting is the problem that most people have. The sensor needs more light than what most people consider "good". The sensor has nowhere near the capabilities of your eyes so you have to learn to see when conditions are poor for your camera. If you're not familiar with what the sensor is capable of then start by taking photos in sunlight and work your way down to lesser and lesser lighting. Pay careful attention to how lighting conditions affect your photos until you're familiar with the limitations of the sensor.

It's really not unlike taking photos with any other camera out there. It's just that the point-and-shoot and DSLR's these days have much better sensors (and much better optics on the DSLR's).

If you have poor lighting, the photo will end up grainy, no matter how much you play with it in post processing.
The graininess is due to amplification. Under low lighting, the sensor will boost its sensitivity. However, increasing sensitivity also increases noise (that's the grain). If you want to avoid grain then don't make the sensor work under conditions where it has to bump up the gain.

Again, it's all standard digital photography info. Reading up may help some of you. Others may benefit more from just experimenting under various conditions.