How do I know if my root and custom rom "took"?

vanbeek1

Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone,
Please excuse my naive, beginner question, but I just got a Droid X as a replacement for the Droid 2 that I continued to have issues with the keyboard. I have rooted the phone using "Pete's Motorola Root Tools v 1.06", I have root acess, I have the Rom Toolbox (the old Liberty Toolbox) and have downloaded several roms, when they are done downloading it asks if I would like to reboot to recovery and install the rom. When I click yes, it reboots the phone, and I believe flashes the rom.
My question is how do I know if the rom "Took"? I still have the stock gingerbread interface, and nothing seems any different from before I rooted, with the exception of much faster speed, and much greater battery life. Please help, I am not sure what to do next, and perhaps my understanding of what rom is is off. Do I need to focus more on themes or lauchers, i.e. adw or Launcher Pro? Please help.... thank you very much in advance!

Abe

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Go to settings/about phone. Look at the build or rom line and it will tell you if the rom you installed "took" because you'll see the name of the rom instead of the ota gb build.

What rom did you dl? Cm7? Liberty?
I personally don't like apps installing roms for me. If I were you, I'd do it manually. Dl the rom you want from the toolbox, but don't install it there. Once its done, back out of the app.
Bootstrap into recovery with d2 bootstrap
Wipe data, cache and dalvik cache (under advanced)
Install zip from sd
Choose zip from sd
The rom you dl will be in the rom toolbox folder or one of its sub folders
Install.
Reboot.
If you're installing cm7, don't forget to dl and install google apps after the rom install while still in recovery, but before rebooting.

CM7GB-D2