How do I get wifi tether to work.

scion676

Reaction score
I powered up my iPhone 3GS tonight and connected via my tether on my Gnex. I then played a Netflix movie to test it and it played thru without pause.

Interesting, if you wouldn't mind conducting a rudimentary test for me.... Try using a transcoding/streaming app such as airvideo or airplayit or plex and use the 3GS to stream a tv show or movie from your desktop/laptop on your home network through the gnex on 4G to the 3GS... this seems to be the only place where I consistently encounter the AP dropping issue. I tether my laptop and ipad2 while on the road to the gnex and can work fine for hours doing surfing/email/browsing... intermittent transfer activity... but when I open those apps and begin to stream a show transcoded from my desktop at home, the gnex just randomly stops transmitting data to the ipad2 probably about 80-90% of the time. It could be after 30 seconds, 3 minutes or 15 minutes. Tether stays on on the gnex, ipad2 says its still connected to the hotspot..... very frustrating as I used my Thunderbolt in this capacity at the gym 5 days a week previously without issue. I love this phone but this problem is maddening...

Also, what rom/kernel are you on ShinyTop?

I am currently on Liquidsmooth 1.25 (4.0.4) with Glados kernel 1.26 - stock speeds, no UV

69copo

Reaction score
I lost connection the other night using FoxFi but later found out they were doing sever maintenance. I've never had a problem with FoxFi like I had with PDANet. Stable reliable and quick. I'm currently at 11.7G of data and its mostly FoxFi if that tells you anything.

Sent from my down range using DroidForums

scion676

Reaction score
I lost connection the other night using FoxFi but later found out they were doing sever maintenance. I've never had a problem with FoxFi like I had with PDANet. Stable reliable and quick. I'm currently at 11.7G of data and its mostly FoxFi if that tells you anything.

Sent from my down range using DroidForums

I got ya. Yea I don't seem to lose the connection if I'm doing something other than streaming video... my problem lies with the constant transmission of transcoded video to an ipad... was trying to find someone else who could replicate this problem.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got ya. Yea I don't seem to lose the connection if I'm doing something other than streaming video... my problem lies with the constant transmission of transcoded video to an ipad... was trying to find someone else who could replicate this problem.

OK, so I have an iPad 3, and the GNex. I connected the iPad to the GNex for over an hour without issue. I am using SVTP to tether. I was able to stream video from Netflix without issue. Your issue is with this scenario, or live transcoding from personal computer to your iPad?

scion676

Reaction score
OK, so I have an iPad 3, and the GNex. I connected the iPad to the GNex for over an hour without issue. I am using SVTP to tether. I was able to stream video from Netflix without issue. Your issue is with this scenario, or live transcoding from personal computer to your iPad?

Transcoding from a personal computer to my ipad2. Ive used my friends slingbox to stream tv before over my gnex to my ipad 2 and that worked fine for the most part. It just when I use an app like airvideo/airplayit/plex to watch shows from my desktop that the major issue with random drops occurs. Sometimes it happens after 3 or 5 mins of streaming, sometimes 15 or 20... sometimes 30 seconds. Totally random... Gnex will just stop transmitting data to ipad2... but Gnex still has internet connection and still says its wifi hotspot is working. Ipad still says its connected to hotspot but can't pull any data unless i restart the hotspot app.

I've tried every app I can think of and still encounter this issue: SVTP, Wifi Tether, Foxfi, Elixir2, built in tethering (with Liquidsmooth rom)...

scion676

Reaction score
Welp... I finally fixed my issues with tethering to my ipad.... by getting a droid razr maxx. With ICS less than a month away, and with battery also being really important to me, just made sense. Razr Maxx really does have noticeably better radios and cellular connectivity from my short time with it. best of luck to everyone!