How do i fix a status 31 error when backing up in SPrecovery

usmcbagley

Reaction score
title pretty much says it all. everytime i got to backup my phone before trying a new ROM my SPrecovery says Error: exited with status 31 or something like that. please put in fairly simple terms trying to learn "lingo" lol

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well that would normally mean that your sdcard is corrupted and needs to be reformatted. Copy your files to your pc, format sdcard (some suggest only doing this in the phone, but I've done mine twice in the pc) and then put files back on sdcard.

Others have reported getting a status 31 error and then finding that it meant they were no longer rooted. But you seem to be able to load roms and that would, of course, mean you're still rooted.

Good luck.

OP
U

usmcbagley

Reaction score
Yea idk what it is cause i just formatted n everything and it still says it but i know im still rooted cause ve got superuser and my kernel and Bugless Beast are both still running

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You might try to verify that you are actually still rooted by doing something that requires root. Open setcpu or root explorer, or some other app that requires SU permissions, and see if the app works.

OP
U

usmcbagley

Reaction score
yea setcpu still works and all that stuff so idk what it is

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would try the following some/any/all of the following:

1. Reflash sprecovery.
2. Try a switch to Clockwork Recovery.
3. If you use Rom Manager to flash SPR, then flash CW and then reflash SPR.
4. Try a different sdcard. It can still, even though you reformatted, be a bad card.