How do I do a soft reset with ICS?

DethDroid

Reaction score
Hi Boards...it's been a while and I hope everyone is doing well. I can't seem to find an answer to this question...how do I do a soft reset now that pwr/vol down is screen capture?
Also I have seen a lot of talk of doing factory resets after the update to clear up some of the glitches. Is this recommended? Will a factory reset harm my SD card and should I remove it first? I am having trouble figuring out how to get pictures I download/save from text messages to my SD card. My camera is set to store all pictures on the SD card but other stuff I am just not sure. I went into MyFiles and chose to move them but then I don't know where they moved to...I am really frustrated and confused lol so any help would be appreciated.

It's still power/volume down ;)

Edit: the soft reset that is ^^

Googorola MAXX

Just hold it longer hehe, it will work :)

Googorola MAXX

Yeah hold it for 10 seconds, which can feel like a real long time.

If you press volume down first, and then the power button you will bypass the screen shot. Just FYI

Hi Boards...it's been a while and I hope everyone is doing well. I can't seem to find an answer to this question...how do I do a soft reset now that pwr/vol down is screen capture?
Also I have seen a lot of talk of doing factory resets after the update to clear up some of the glitches. Is this recommended? Will a factory reset harm my SD card and should I remove it first? I am having trouble figuring out how to get pictures I download/save from text messages to my SD card. My camera is set to store all pictures on the SD card but other stuff I am just not sure. I went into MyFiles and chose to move them but then I don't know where they moved to...I am really frustrated and confused lol so any help would be appreciated.

For the soft reset, if you keep getting a screenshot, try holding the power down button a second before you add the power button. Sometimes it just takes a little finagling.

When doing the FDR you should get a question about if you want to wipe the internal memory and also the external card. Also beware that the phone has two SD card directories: sdcard (internal memory) and sdcard-ext (your SD card). Some folks remove the external before doing a FDR to be sure nothing happens to it. I didn't and mine was okay, but you will want to be aware of this. If you have files installed and configured I'd make a back up on your pc of both directories as it may safe you some grief later on.

I find moving things with MyFiles frustrating. You might want to look at ES File Explorer. Once installed go to Menu>Settings>and check Up to Root. I also changed Home Directory to / so that I have access to all folders.

Definitely recommend you do an FDR. I avoided doing it for quite a while (didn't want to go through the hassle of re-installing my apps), but I'm SO glad I finally did it. All of the problems I was having - including my Maxx's screen spontaneously turning on, and really poor battery life - totally resolved. My phone is now back to its original sterling self!!

And if your going to do and fdr, do two..it will ensure a clean wipe and install..

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Back