How do I change App permissions for security?

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
I'm super new to the Android world. I've gotten a bunch of apps for my new Moto Z Force. I've notice a lot of them notify me that the app needs access to location, contacts, speakers, microphone, photos etc.. Even the weather app wanted my camera, photos & other things besides the obvious “location”. When this notice window pops up I don’t see a way to say NO to any of them. If I tried the App stopped loading. So I just went ahead & said OK. I forget at which stage of setup I was in but it was in the 1st few days, I was getting notices like "do you what these people to know where you are, your ph# ” & other crazy personal stuff. Those I think I could say no to. Now that I'm pretty close to having the phone setup how I want it & I'm concerned about personal info security my questions are:

-Is there a way to go back into the system & edit what services & apps can access certain features like location, contacts, photos, microphone, camera etc..

-Are there any "must do" security tips I should be doing or setting up as a 1st time Droid user? I setup a password & fingerprint. I even got Avast on it but are there other settings or apps that should be used, turned on/ off or uninstalled?

Thanks!

MrJPeoples

Reaction score
I'm super new to the Android world. I've gotten a bunch of apps for my new Moto Z Force. I've notice a lot of them notify me that the app needs access to location, contacts, speakers, microphone, photos etc.. Even the weather app wanted my camera, photos & other things besides the obvious “location”. When this notice window pops up I don’t see a way to say NO to any of them. If I tried the App stopped loading. So I just went ahead & said OK. I forget at which stage of setup I was in but it was in the 1st few days, I was getting notices like "do you what these people to know where you are, your ph# ” & other crazy personal stuff. Those I think I could say no to. Now that I'm pretty close to having the phone setup how I want it & I'm concerned about personal info security my questions are:

-Is there a way to go back into the system & edit what services & apps can access certain features like location, contacts, photos, microphone, camera etc..

-Are there any "must do" security tips I should be doing or setting up as a 1st time Droid user? I setup a password & fingerprint. I even got Avast on it but are there other settings or apps that should be used, turned on/ off or uninstalled?

Thanks!
One thing I will caution you on. If you are ever arrested, you can not be forced to provide a password, but you can be forced to provide a fingerprint. Not that that is a concern for most, but I want the option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
To check or change security permissions go here > Settings > Apps > gear menu > App Permissions. Then you can see all of the permissions. Tap each one and you can see which apps have access, with an On / Off slider to make changes.

The only other security advice I can think of right now is only use apps from the play store and you should be safe in most circumstances.

Don't use task killers and battery saver apps, they drain more battery than they save. Android does a good job of handling its own resources.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CJM
OP
King Bengals

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
One thing I will caution you on. If you are ever arrested, you can not be forced to provide a password, but you can be forced to provide a fingerprint. Not that that is a concern for most, but I want the option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Yes the SCOTUS ruled that recently. Your FP is kinda considered something they can get without cinsent like off a gkass. Forcing u to tell the code is like bearing forced to testify against yourself. Its about the 5th Ammendment.