How Big is Too Big? Huawei Working on a 6.1-Inch Phone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
giant-cellphone.jpg

Okay, so we were very skeptical of larger phones when they first started appearing. Obviously, it turns out that a ton of folks out there in Android-land (millions in fact) really like the phablet style devices. We have to admit after playing with the Galaxy Note II and the HTC Droid DNA, we finally understand the allure. In fact, amongst your staff here in the forums, there are several converts that are jumping on the phablet bandwagon. However, having admitted all of that, we must share that this latest news has us completely flabbergasted. Supposedly, Huawei is working on a truly “giant” device. They used the word giant to describe it, but we would call it gigantic. Supposedly this new device will be huge to the tune of 6.1-Inches for the display!

The device will be called the Ascend Mate, and it seems like a fitting name, because you might just be able to "ascend" to heaven by standing on top of this monstrosity. The rest of the specs seem to be in-line with the other phablet devices spreading across the land. Here's what was revealed:
  • 6.1-inch 1080p Full HD display
  • 1.8GHz quad-core processor
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 4,000 mAh battery
  • Android Jelly Bean
As you can see, the display isn't the only thing that will be huge about this phablet. The battery is enormous as well. While this is something we always like to see, we can't help but scratch our heads as to who thinks there will be a market for a device like this. Basically, it's just a slightly shrunken Android tablet that can be used to make calls. Can you imagine walking down the street with this up to your ear? It seems reminiscent of the 1980's when break-dancers would carry extra large "boom-boxes" on their shoulders.

I thought miniaturization was the trending thing to do with technology... So, how big is too big?

Source: AndroidAuthority

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It better be all screen. No bezels or nothing.

Good lord that's a huge screen on a phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
It is good to see the battery size going up with the screen size...

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
giant-cellphone.jpg

Okay, so we were very skeptical of larger phones when they first started appearing. Obviously, it turns out that a ton of folks out there in Android-land (millions in fact) really like the phablet style devices. We have to admit after playing with the Galaxy Note II and the HTC Droid DNA, we finally understand the allure. In fact, amongst your staff here in the forums, there are several converts that are jumping on the phablet bandwagon. However, having admitted all of that, we must share that this latest news has us completely flabbergasted. Supposedly, Huawei is working on a truly “giant” device. They used the word giant to describe it, but we would call it gigantic. Supposedly this new device will be huge to the tune of 6.1-Inches for the display!

The device will be called the Ascend Mate, and it seems like a fitting name, because you might just be able to "ascend" to heaven by standing on top of this monstrosity. The rest of the specs seem to be in-line with the other phablet devices spreading across the land. Here's what was revealed:
  • 6.1-inch 1080p Full HD display
  • 1.8GHz quad-core processor
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 4,000 mAh battery
  • Android Jelly Bean
As you can see, the display isn't the only thing that will be huge about this phablet. The battery is enormous as well. While this is something we always like to see, we can't help but scratch our heads as to who thinks there will be a market for a device like this. Basically, it's just a slightly shrunken Android tablet that can be used to make calls. Can you imagine walking down the street with this up to your ear? It seems reminiscent of the 1980's when break-dancers would carry extra large "boom-boxes" on their shoulders.

I thought miniaturization was the trending thing to do with technology... So, how big is too big?

Source: AndroidAuthority
Can I get some Key Lime Pie?

drew96dawg

Reaction score
The note 2 is perfection. It is as big as I want because I can still easily use it a one handed.:)

sent from my vzw galaxy note 2

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I can see it now...

Dude sits down on train.
Pulls out 6.1" phone and enables WiFi tether.
Puts phone away.
Pulls out 7" tablet and starts surfing the internet.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can see it now...

Dude sits down on train.
Puts phone away.

buahahahah, this would totaly happen lmao that's awesome haha

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I can see it now...

Dude sits down on train.
Puts phone away.

When I got my n2 all needs/desires for a tablet disappeared. If the nexus 7 had a cell antenna I would gladly use one of those as a phone

sent from my vzw galaxy note 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I can see it now...

Dude sits down on train.
Puts phone away.

THIS ^ got me TOTALLY laughing out loud! Thanks for the laugh! :rofl3:

Caesars

Reaction score
I could see this being similar to note 2 sizing, with just a tad more height.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
With the right aspect ratio, very small bezel and using JB onscreen buttons this could be very close in size to the N2. However if they don't do all that then it'll be huge.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
LOL...how quickly we forget.

It really wasn't that long ago that cell phones DWARFED 6.1 inches, and that was not on the diagonal.

No one even considered using one of these one-handed.

martincooper1_wideweb__470x362,0.jpeg

...And it was a major breakthrough because it didn't have a battery pack you had to sling across your shoulder like a messenger bag and was attached by a coiled cable.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
THAT ^^ is one of my former avatars...Dr. Martin Cooper, inventor of the Portable Cellular Phone with his working prototype Motorola 8000A, the very phone that he used to make a call to the Joel Engel of Bell Labs, Research Chief while standing in the street at the time. He's one of my all-time heros!!

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Cooper_(inventor));

The original
Motorola DynaTAC handset weighed 1 kilogram (2.2 lb) and had 35 minutes of talk time. Cooper has said "The battery lifetime was 20 minutes, but that wasn't really a big problem because you couldn't hold that phone up for that long."

And we complain about batteries that won't last a full day's surfing on the web!! Sheez!

Last edited: