Hotspot causes internet access failure after some period of time

Johnw

Reaction score
I regularly use the Hotspot feature on my Thunderbolt and constantly have issues with web access failing after some period of time. The web access fails both directly from the Thunderbolt as well as devices connected via hotspot/wifi.

When I go to the phone settings using #*#*4636*#*# and use "Run ping test", I'll get:

Ping IpAddr: Pass
Ping Hostname (www.google.com): Pass
HTTP Client test: Fail: IOException

I'm in a strong 4G service area (in San Diego next to Qualcomm corp) and while this is happenning, I see 4G active.

However, I've also seen this when only in a 3G area so I don't think it is 4G related. And, this is not a handset issue because I've seen this issue on 3 different handsets (I've had to exchange my Thunderbolt due to power button issues and screen issues).

I'm guessing this is a bug in the hotspot feature. Has anyone else experience this?

Last edited:

musculature

Reaction score
I hotspot daily for 9 hours straight without any issues. I am in a strong 3G area, no 4G :angry:

OP
J

Johnw

Reaction score
I think I figured it out. It was the leaked My Verizon Wireless app that was causing the network issues. After I uninstalled it my internet stopped freezing periodically.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I actually have issues with the mobile hot spot as well. Wifi tethering app for root users actually works better than the official one. I brought that up to a vzw tech rep that its hard to justify paying more for a tethering app that cause my phone to reboot.

OP
J

Johnw

Reaction score
false hope. I'm still losing connection though less frequently.

I'm going to perform a factory reset and install NOTHING and see if it works.

OP
J

Johnw

Reaction score
I did a factory reset (power on while pushing volume down and selecting reset).

The only change I made was logging into Google to sync my contacts.

After configuring hotspot and connecting a laptop and viewing Netflix, I got the same loss of internet connectivity on both the laptop and loss of ability to browse websites on the Thunderbolt as before:

Ping IpAddr: Pass
Ping Hostname (www.google.com): Pass
HTTP Client test: Fail: IOException

So, I have confirmed that this problem has NOTHING to do with installed applications. I am running the OTA update. I hope Verizon fixes this soon. I will test tonight from home to see if it is location dependent.