Hotspot and USB tethering broken after Android security patch (dated 1 Dec 2021)

medusa193

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G Power (XT2041-6)
My Moto G Power (XT2041-6) uses Android 11 via Consumer Cellular, which resells ATT service.

On January 25th, I downloaded and installed the latest Android security and Google Play System patches dated December 1, 2021 (Software Version RPMS31.Q1-54-13.3-7).

Immediately thereafter, my mobile hotspot and USB tethering functions would not work. They are my only affordable means of connecting to the Internet in my semi-rural area. I’ve happily used both, especially tethering, for a few years now, previously on my old Moto E2 and now my current phone.

Three Consumer Cellular reps had no solution other than a factory reset. (Note that I’ve tried unsubscribing and resubscribing to hotspot/tether, I’ve restarted the phone, and I’ve reset the Network settings, all without resolving the issue.)

Also, please note that I can select both tethering and hotspot and have my computers recognize and connect to the signal, but I can't access any Websites. The only error message I've seen concerned MAC addresses not matching.

I don’t want to do a factory reset unless it’s my last resort.

I'm searching the Web and contacting forums with a borrowed WiFi connection but cannot yet find a fix. If you can recommend any source of information that might help me restore these functions, please do.

Thanks!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have already done all of the normal troubleshooting (restart, reset network settings, etc ). I know that no one likes to hear the dreaded words, but a factory reset probably is the next logical step. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk