Hot spot

darinr80

Reaction score
For some reason my rooted Incredible 2 is very slow when trying to use it add a hot spot. I have used Wifi tether and Barnacle. I'm getting about .5Mbps which is too slow for an iPad.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

ABQNM

Reaction score
What are your speed tests like on the phone? For the last month or so I have not been able to get over about 300kbps down 400kbps up on the phone and when tethered I have gotten as high as 700/500kbps but that is only during very low usage hours. Usually I get about 150-300kbps down and up on both the phone and tether. It is pretty miserably slow. And it does not seem to be the phone, because I get the same results with my OG Droid as well.

OP
D

darinr80

Reaction score
That is interesting. I just got 736kbps down and 272kbps up. And we both have the same phone.

ABQNM

Reaction score
That is interesting. I just got 736kbps down and 272kbps up. And we both have the same phone.

This is likely a network or capacity issue that is resulting in different speeds. If we were standing next to each other and got significantly different results every time, then I would say it may be the device. I have not gotten speeds over 800kbps at all in over a year and am very lucky to get over 500. I think the 3g network is close to full so the shift to 4g should help ease that crowding over the next few months.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

OP
D

darinr80

Reaction score
This is likely a network or capacity issue that is resulting in different speeds. If we were standing next to each other and got significantly different results every time, then I would say it may be the device. I have not gotten speeds over 800kbps at all in over a year and am very lucky to get over 500. I think the 3g network is close to full so the shift to 4g should help ease that crowding over the next few months.

Yeah I guess I'll just have to deal w/these speeds. Not sure it's motivating enough to go to a 4G phone being how I just got this in May of this year. On a positive note I used my Incredible 2 as a hot spot in the car to listen to music via Pandora on my iPad (wifi) and it worked great.

lol I love your signature BTW.

ABQNM

Reaction score
Yeah I guess I'll just have to deal w/these speeds. Not sure it's motivating enough to go to a 4G phone being how I just got this in May of this year. On a positive note I used my Incredible 2 as a hot spot in the car to listen to music via Pandora on my iPad (wifi) and it worked great.

lol I love your signature BTW.

I am not suggesting going to a 4g phone but rather stating that the transitions en masse to 4g should lighten the load on the 3G network a bit. Those speeds are OK for streaming and basic web but they get slow fast when going bigger. Plus 4g just doesn't have the battery life. This is definitely the best 3G phone Verizon has right now.

OP
D

darinr80

Reaction score
That makes sense. I'm not in a huge hurry to go 4G. It would be nice but the fact that I have internet almost everywhere is a great first step for me. Not that you're pushing 4G, just saying. I agree about this being the best 3G phone.

ABQNM

Reaction score
Agreed. I am around wifi enough that I keep the 3g tasks to a minimum other than streaming music. 4G will be nice, but I am still torn on a phone that I want. The Nexus is neat and open, but it is only neat because of the software on it (and unlocked). The rest of it is just blah. Also the new Qualcomm S4 processors will be arriving in phones early next year with integrated LTE modem instead of a separate unit, which should help battery life and performance significantly. That is what LTE needs before I buy it. As much as I say all that, I will likely have a nexus by Jan 1, then again, I am a nerd who is on phone model 47 since my first in 1998...