Horizontal cases, magnetic or otherwise...

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
Hi All, I just wanted to post pics of the case I finally found to use that I like. First I tried to order the one from Seidioonline.com, but after 10 days whith the status still in "processing" I cancelled my order and came across the following case at Fry's. This was the same manufacturer (Mobo) that I used or my last case, which I liked a lot. They're faily durable, and cost about $12. It doesn't cause the phone to go into dock mode no matter which way it faces which is great. I tested it pretty thouroughly before I bought it. The only time it will go into dock mode is sometimes when you are sliding it out or in, it will trigger, but it will immediatly exit dock mode as it goes into the holster or out into your hand. So, there is no danger of running the battery down while it stays in dock mode in your case. Here are some pics.

drop44

Reaction score
I keep posting about this case, but the word keeps failing to spread. It's a horizontal leather case with simple, nonrotating belt clip. The clip is VERY tight and can actually be a bother to get off :)

It has a magnetic closure, but it DOES NOT affect the Droid, screen in or out. I have been using this case for over a month now and still love it. The Droid fits in it like it was made for it.

Case Logic Black Universal Milan Slim PDA Leather Pouch - CLP105DB

I bought this case based on your suggestion and my phone would go into car mode all the time regardless of the orientation. It is very irritating, I had to buy the Dock Blocker app to keep this from happening. The Dock Blocker app is annoying too, because it resets my screen timeout setting daily.

The case is great in terms of quality, it's sad that I will have to replace it. Just trying to find something without a magnet.

Erich_F

Reaction score
I bought this case based on your suggestion and my phone would go into car mode all the time regardless of the orientation. It is very irritating, I had to buy the Dock Blocker app to keep this from happening. The Dock Blocker app is annoying too, because it resets my screen timeout setting daily.

The case is great in terms of quality, it's sad that I will have to replace it. Just trying to find something without a magnet.

Well, sorry to hear that. It's interesting because I have had two different Droids in my case, and neither had this problem. I have been using mine daily for two months now :icon_eek:

I have seen it try to go into dock mode once or twice as if I fumble around getting it into the holster (as it passes by the flap), but it's never gone into Dock mode when secured in the holster, screen in or out.

Maybe some Driods are more sensitive than others?

mntbikejack

Reaction score
I just received my Seidio premium leather case today after about 20 days waiting for the order to complete due to lack of stock. It is a wonderful case and I'm glad I waited to get it. No issues at all with the phone going into dock mode no matter how it is placed inside of the case. Very comfortable and fits securly to my belt.

Here is the link: Premium Horizontal Leather Case

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
Cool, good to know it is worth it mtnbikejack. I'll keep it in mind for my next purchase perhaps.

drop44

Reaction score
Well, sorry to hear that. It's interesting because I have had two different Droids in my case, and neither had this problem. I have been using mine daily for two months now :icon_eek:

I have seen it try to go into dock mode once or twice as if I fumble around getting it into the holster (as it passes by the flap), but it's never gone into Dock mode when secured in the holster, screen in or out.

Ah no worries at all. You might be right about the sensitivity. It also might depend on the user. I think what it comes down to is, there should be an update where car mode can be shut off! I hope this happens soon, because I love this case!

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
this is the only thing i hate about the droid. I cannot find a freaken case for this because of the magnet problem. Almost all cases are magnets

There isn't a magnet problem and for anyone else wondering...:)
Just make sure you put your phone to *sleep* before putting it inside of the holster.
This is what I do daily and it never goes into any docking mode.

xliderider

Reaction score
Search for a free app in the Marketplace called Dock Blocker. :)

It works great. Previously, I had to use my horizontal leather case with magnets in the flap closure with the glass side of the Droid facing out to keep the magnets away from the back of the Droid. Now with Dock Blocker, I keep the Droid in the pouch with the backside facing outward. The Droid will sometimes go into dock mode when the magnetic flap is closed, but only for a second or two, then Dock Blocker puts the Droid back into standby.

Starcrwzr

Reaction score

I just got the Case Logic leather case, but mine says it was for Smart Phones, not sure if that's any different then yours. Nice case, nice fit with the phone, shiny black leather on the outside, soft suede on the inside. Doesn't go into dock mode with the magnetic clasp, and I can barely get it to blink "Car Dock" when I purposefully put the back of the phone against the magnet in the flap. I paid $16.95 at Walmart for it.