Hooking up Wifi

Twista89

Reaction score
Ok new question guys...I have my network setup in my house where you need a password to get on and you have to manually set the ip address...I was wondering how do you set the ip address in the droid as I cannot fully connect to my network...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok new question guys...I have my network setup in my house where you need a password to get on and you have to manually set the ip address...I was wondering how do you set the ip address in the droid as I cannot fully connect to my network...

I really don't recall having to set up the IP address. Droid just searched for wifi and found our network, we put in the password and that was pretty much it.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really don't recall having to set up the IP address. Droid just searched for wifi and found our network, we put in the password and that was pretty much it.

No, that's his question. His WiFi is setup for static IP, not DHCP, and he needs to know how to manually assign an address to his phone.

OP, I'm researching, back with your shortly.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Got it. Go to network settings, hit the soft menu key, and go to Advanced. In there, you can enable static IP and all your network info.

Hope that's what you wanted.

OP
T

Twista89

Reaction score

No, that's his question. His WiFi is setup for static IP, not DHCP, and he needs to know how to manually assign an address to his phone.

OP, I'm researching, back with your shortly.

correct...it helps keep my printer from changing ip addresses every blue moon and wondering why the freakin thing wont print....Thanks alot...

OP
T

Twista89

Reaction score
Got it. Go to network settings, hit the soft menu key, and go to Advanced. In there, you can enable static IP and all your network info.

Hope that's what you wanted.

thx will try now :)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
correct...it helps keep my printer from changing ip addresses every blue moon and wondering why the freakin thing wont print....Thanks alot...

I was having this same problem, and I simply forced my printer to request a high, unused IP address every time it gets on the network, so DHCP still works, and the printer doesnt fight with the 3 routers in my house.

OP
T

Twista89

Reaction score
Cool I might have to try that if I turn DHCP back on one day. I was also wondering is it possible to connect to my PC and download music straight to my phone or is that not available with the droid yet...

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cool I might have to try that if I turn DHCP back on one day. I was also wondering is it possible to connect to my PC and download music straight to my phone or is that not available with the droid yet...

I just have so many friends come over and use my internets (30mbit down), that static IP would be a pain.

Download to your phone in what sense? There are plenty of apps to sync your music library to your phone.

OP
T

Twista89

Reaction score
I guess like with my xbox 360 I can just search for my computer and stream music to it wirelessly and I guess I was wondering can I transfer music wirelessly from my PC

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are a few uPnP apps out there, but I havent tried any of them.

nooter99

Reaction score
Is there any advantage to doing the static IP thing over DHCP? Is it a security issue? How do you do the static IP thing, do you have to manually enter the ip address every time you connect? I'm clueless when it comes to these things, and ironically my daughter just bought and hooked a router yesterday, first one we've ever had. I'm a little nervous about the whole security thing! How do I know for sure my network is secure? Lot of questions, eh?

OP
T

Twista89

Reaction score
Is there any advantage to doing the static IP thing over DHCP? Is it a security issue? How do you do the static IP thing, do you have to manually enter the ip address every time you connect? I'm clueless when it comes to these things, and ironically my daughter just bought and hooked a router yesterday, first one we've ever had. I'm a little nervous about the whole security thing! How do I know for sure my network is secure? Lot of questions, eh?

You configure it in the router settings page basically. Like if your routers IP is 192.168.1.1 then you would enter that in the address bar and log into the routers config page. But honestly the only security it really has over DHCP is the fact that the person trying to connect to your network would have to guess at what the routers IP address is if isnt the default values....If you have security set up either WPA/WEP or something then thats really all the security you would need to block out the average person...If a hacker really wanted to get into your network wirelessly then having static ip addresses wouldnt really stop him/her....

Honestly if you followed the setup menu that came on the CD for the router and used a security code then you will be alright...

And yes you would have to manually configure the IP address on everything connecting to your network but only once unless you change the settings around or reset the router...

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sorry, OP, since your question has been answered, I'm gonna thread hijack.

Static IP provides almost no security benefit over DHCP, aside for the afforementioned needing to know your router settings (which are common across the board, and easy to guess).

Basic router security is simple: password protection with WPA or WPA2. WEP is the old standard, and easily cracked by anyone with 15 minutes and commitment. I could teach anyone with a laptop how to break WEP in less time than it would take me to mow my backyard.

WPA and WPA2 are not unbreakable, but significantly harder to break than WEP, and are the preferred home security standards for wireless. I use WPA2 only, and barring my neighbor being an evil mastermind, I have no fear.

If you're really really paranoid, you can allow only specific devices to connect to your network using a MAC filter. This is again, not unbreakable, but a good level of security. I find it completely useless, and more of a headache than it's worth, considering how often new devices come on my network.

Just password protect the thing, and you'll be fine.