Home Screen - Icon Delay

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Mine is getting baaaaad. All apps off card. Icons only on one home screen. No task killers, etc. I have FRG83D. This really, really frustrating!

Thanks for listening.

What phone? What Launcher?

Droid 1 and stock Launcher. Delays are getting into the 20 second range now. I find myself cursing frequently at it. I rely on it heavily for business; it's very unprofessional not being able to answer call because of the lag or sometimes the lag is so bad that I thought that I missed the call but didn't and end up calling that person back and having each of us on call waiting with the other - just an example. I can hardly take it anymore but don't want to spend $500 for another phone that will do the same thing. Also throw in the hanging up on every tenth caller or so, totally randomly. At first I blamed it on a colleague's iphone reception, but I think I own the problem.

Have you tried other launchers? I would try ADW and Launcher Pro.

Have you ever done a Factory Hard Reset? Might be worth a try.

Another thought is take the phone to a factory Verizon store and have them reflash the OS.

I would try these three things in the order listed above.

Good luck.

fotoamazonas

Reaction score
so my prior success with just cutting down to there home screens? fail. the problem came back after a week.

I switched to Launcher Pro and haven't looked back since. It's been about two weeks. I get lag only a few times a week, especially after opening/closing large apps like Angry Birds. In general, I'm thrilled with LauncherPro.

jeffe65

Reaction score
I realize it's a pain, but has anyone tried ruling out some of the apps you're running? I had installed a camera app recently (vignette), and all of a sudden got all kinds of issues - Call hangups, calls initiated without my input, screen redraws issues and timeouts, you name it. I finally narrowed it down to that; it was one of the last apps I had installed before the issues started, and like magic, they went away.

I also noticed on SetCPU that with vignette installed, Load Averaging was running as high as 8 or 9 for the first three numbers (should be below two or three) while the phone was on standby. After the uninstall, they've dropped to 1.5 or lower, without any settings changes. While I'm not going to hammer on just one app (I'm also a developer, just not Jave yet), you'd be surprised at how much havoc a single careless line of code can cause, depending on where and what it is.

D1's biggest shortcoming is the internal memory; we try to squeeze as much as we can into it, and if one app starts to misbehave, the whole thing messes up. Right now I'm running 96 apps with none on the card, and about 31MB free memory. If I dip below 27MB, things go south.

arcturner

Reaction score
What phone? What Launcher?

Droid 1 and stock Launcher. Delays are getting into the 20 second range now. I find myself cursing frequently at it. I rely on it heavily for business; it's very unprofessional not being able to answer call because of the lag or sometimes the lag is so bad that I thought that I missed the call but didn't and end up calling that person back and having each of us on call waiting with the other - just an example. I can hardly take it anymore but don't want to spend $500 for another phone that will do the same thing. Also throw in the hanging up on every tenth caller or so, totally randomly. At first I blamed it on a colleague's iphone reception, but I think I own the problem.

Have you tried other launchers? I would try ADW and Launcher Pro.

Have you ever done a Factory Hard Reset? Might be worth a try.

Another thought is take the phone to a factory Verizon store and have them reflash the OS.

I would try these three things in the order listed above.

Good luck.

The ADW has been working well the last few days. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep you posted.

tompdillon

Reaction score
LaunderPro

After reading the posts here, I installed LauncherPro (and ADW) yesterday.

So far so good. Both worked well. I made LauncherPro the default last night and have only had one time that I had to wait for the home screen. I have a feeling that was related to the app I was leaving. Will see if I can find a pattern.

With the default launcher, I was waiting all the time, almost unusable.

Thanks for the help.

arcturner

Reaction score
ADW has kept my phone out of the river. Not perfect but much better.