hide directories from gallery

xndzizz

Reaction score
My gallery is showing all my folder.jpgs for album art. Anyone know how to prevent this?

Erich_F

Reaction score
Yeah, how do we keep the folder with the hot chic pics in it from showing up in the "all Photos" folder :)

adam8ch

Reaction score
my Gallery does not show any folder.jpg files. hrmmm
check to make sure they aren't .png .gif or .jpeg files. also if you don't want a specific directory to be found by the Gallery you can put an empty file called .nomedia in that directory and it will be hidden from Gallery.

Edit: Where are you storing your music directories?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
add a "." before a folder and it will be hidden to your phone.

eNonsense

Reaction score
my Gallery does not show any folder.jpg files. hrmmm
check to make sure they aren't .png .gif or .jpeg files. also if you don't want a specific directory to be found by the Gallery you can put an empty file called .nomedia in that directory and it will be hidden from Gallery.

Edit: Where are you storing your music directories?

the .nomedia file works like a charm. except that if your problem is with album cover art, when you put the .nomedia file in there it also keeps your music program from seeing your mp3s.

hahaha. oh well.

i was also wondering about this issue and it looks like there may not be a solution.

lagtastic

Reaction score
are you sure you don't have more instances of folder.jpg (folder1.jpg, folder2.jpg, etc) from autoupdating the id3 tags too much? the main gallery app ignores folder.jpg i thought.

maybe navigate to your phone's music directories and see. if there are multiple instances, you only need the folder.jpg (if you havent embedded the album art already. you can blow the folder1.jpg,folder2.jpgs away.

angebesoin

Reaction score
Not to sound stupid but once I do the whole ".nomedia" thing how do I access my pics again? I'm new to the droid and would love to hide "sensitive" pics to avoid giving my mother a heart attack, but I'm not exactly a technologically savvy girl.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not to sound stupid but once I do the whole ".nomedia" thing how do I access my pics again? I'm new to the droid and would love to hide "sensitive" pics to avoid giving my mother a heart attack, but I'm not exactly a technologically savvy girl.
you need to create folders on your SdCard

have a folder called Photos and with in that folder have one called Private. that is where all your riskey photos shall go. inside that folder you need to create a file and name it .nomedia not sure how to create that file , you can just copy a photo over and rename it to .nomedia that file will HIDE all photos in that folder from your gallery. in order to view those files you will need an app I recommend Astro file manager.

with Astro you can do all of this via your phone

-=Jason=-

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Specific location of the folders doesn't really matter. The .nomedia file needs to be in the folder that you hiding or further up the folder tree.