Hi, new here, very likely getting my first android phone soon

mistermojorizin

Reaction score
Hi, i came on here to learn about android and smartphones in general. I am familiar with blackberries and webOS but I am going to be getting my first verizon smartphone for personal use soon and so I am here to learn, and perhaps help others after I get up to speed. I will post a topic about this probably, but if any one here switched to droid from iphone, i'd love to hear if you're happy with the switch and why. what would be the best forum to post that thread? i will search first though.

svickstc

Reaction score
What phone are you looking at getting, there is a bunch of knowledgeable people here to help...

I am also new to the android system. I have come from regular verizon phones and the iPhone platform, but I am really warming up to the recent swtich to the android OS

I went with the Droid 3, and at first i was quite disappointed with all the little bugs, slow speed, battery, etc...

I recently rooted and flashed a custom rom and could not be more happy with how my phone has been running!

OP
M

mistermojorizin

Reaction score
was gonna get a bionic, but so glad I looked at it in the store (the screen door effect was unacceptable), now waiting for the nexus i guess, but other phones are still on the table. any advice would be appreciated

svickstc

Reaction score
The Nexus looks to be promising and with a rumored release data of early novemeber i would just hold out...

what other phones were you looking at besides the bionic?

OP
M

mistermojorizin

Reaction score
the charge, but then i read that the battery life is very short. I like the ones with physical keyboards too, but they all seem to be older models and don't have 4g and i'm gonna have this phone for at least 2 years. i am also looking at windows mango phones and the iphone as i mentioned.

which brand do you think is most reliable? which has the best sound quality? i've had problems with phones in the past that were too quiet and distorted bassy voices. also lots of unreliable phones from verizon. i'm talking dumbphones here. so i am concerned that adding the computer functions will just make them less reliable and make the companies just focus on the computer features ignoring basic phone features and reliablity whcih are the most important to me. the computer stuff is just for fun.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
ALOHA welcome to the forum. the best reviews are the ones that are currently using these devices. in this forum, u should view the ones ur leaning towards and of course hands on feel for it. no one particular device is stable, including battery. sorry can't be more helpful

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
when u think about, every device wont act the same. some will be defective some will be fine. some will adapt to well to certain ROMs some won't. battery issues IMO are known problems in all phones. but there are work arounds to help but requires customizing ur device. im just saying there's no one particular phone that is/isn't reliable as the next and of course, opinions differ. either way....ur going for an ANDROID :)
WOOT WOOT

OP
M

mistermojorizin

Reaction score
yes, nothing is guaranteed. however, statistically speaking, some phones are relatively more reliable than others. for example, with cars i just open up consumer reports or trudelta and get a good sense of which brands to go for if i'm looking for reliability. i will only stray from those brands for performance or luxury, it is not smart, to me, to do so otherwise. i want to get the same sense for droid phones. samsung, motorola or htc are the main players I take it. which generally has better reliability?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
My next phone wont be Motorola because stock they are slow, glitchy and annoying. Not to mention the buttons on my phone are about to fall off.

My next phone will be the Nexus or Vigor. Or I might even wait to see what's after those if I can stand it.

DSX

OP
M

mistermojorizin

Reaction score
My next phone wont be Motorola because stock they are slow, glitchy and annoying. Not to mention the buttons on my phone are about to fall off.

My next phone will be the Nexus or Vigor. Or I might even wait to see what's after those if I can stand it.

DSX

thanks, this is helpful

and thanks everyone for the warm welcomes too

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score

DSX

see always Brad ;)....5 cents lol

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol, Brad seems to have a point though.

I love my Droid 3.. but because it's finally getting some good dev attention.. I think Motorola could do much better software wise.

The three phones I would be looking out for that seem to be just completely beasts and will definitely overshadow the i*hone 4s(since I believe you still have that as a possibility) would be the Galaxy Nexus, the Vigor, or Droid RAZR if it's unlocked.