Hi need advice about Droid 2 global and UMTS/HSDPA bands ..

Vlad28

Reaction score
I want to upgrade a new smartphone .. and I have the chance to purchase a used Droid2 global (a956) , my question is does anybody knows if it should work whit UMTS 850-1900 -HSDPA 850-1900 FREQUENCIES ? Im from Buenos Aires (Argentina) .
a lot of ppl say to me dont buy it its from Verizone , verizone works whit CDMA tech. it wont work here .( Argentina ) I know that it would work in gsm(2g) ,, that shuldn t be a problem .. but regarding 3G or 3G+ .. thats my concern ..

also I hear that AT&T works whit same frequencies ( umts 850-1900) like rogers from Canada ,.. and Tellus I think too ...
but IM not sure ..
so if anybody can give me a hand on this I would really appreciate it
thanks a lot

silver6054

Reaction score
some more info ... whats worrys me is that I found an info that Verizon lock 850 and 1900 UMTS bands , and only left 2100 ..

heres the link info were I get it : Droid 2 Global on GSM [Archive] - xda-developers (in the end of teh thread )

is it true ? it can be unlocked ?

All GSM bands are locked in the US, but the bands work outside. So, as the phone has those UTMS bands, it should work. I think there are South American users on this forum, some reporting issues with various SIM cards though!

That said, the Droid 2 Global is by now an aging phone (replaced in the US by the Droid 3) and it has all the CDMA technology that you don't need. So, get it only if a) it is a nice low price, and b) you can be CERTAIN that it has been (SIM) unlocked. Verizon changed the lock code on many of the units so a third-party unlocker often can't unlock the phone. You don't want to be stuck on Verizon's global roaming rates!

OP
V

Vlad28

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Silver6054! .. I will look for those south american users ,maybe they can tell me more about it .. doid2 global is very cheap in ebay .. but I guess I have to be veery careful .. thank a lot for you advice's best regards
Vlad