Hi, am I welcomed here?

OP
P

pointzero1

Reaction score
Ah, thank you all for describing what Tapatalk is. I really appreciate how everyone is so friendly and easily willing to help each other out. Love it.

So I just wanted to update you guys.

I went to Verizon today to get a family plan. Unfortunately they didn't have the Droid X in stock. I looked at the Droid 1, but I disliked the keyboard as it was too flat and very hard to press. I also saw the LG Ally, but I never was a huge fan of LG. So, I was unable to get a phone or even sign up for a contract today, but my family got their phones today because they opted for a regular multimedia phone.

I'll be waiting a week or two to see if they get any Droid X in stock. They said I could maybe get the Droid X for free! O__O

alphawave7

Reaction score
The X is a VERY nice phone...that screen is amazing. Not enough to make me wanna toss my N1, but it would be a perfect runner-up. :)

OP
P

pointzero1

Reaction score
Is the N1, the Nexus One?

This might be an odd question, but I was looking through Verizon's site and the only other phone aside from the Droid x that stood out was the palm pre plus... Well I know palm pretty much doesn't exist anymore and are now a part of hp.

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with the palm pre plus and if you recommend it.

onmyway

Reaction score
One of those places where we have a lot of sweet t
Current Phone Model
G N 4
A few friends preferred Palm. They always said they preferred how spreadsheet manipulation was easier and it was reliable and sturdy. Also, there was a contact setup preference too. One friend was an analyst and the other a professor. The analyst hung to the palm for sometme but the professor changed rather fast. Hers was a hand me down from the Husband.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I went to Verizon today to get a family plan. Unfortunately they didn't have the Droid X in stock. I looked at the Droid 1, but I disliked the keyboard as it was too flat and very hard to press. I also saw the LG Ally, but I never was a huge fan of LG. So, I was unable to get a phone or even sign up for a contract today, but my family got their phones today because they opted for a regular multimedia phone.

I'm just the opposite. I was a die-hard LG fan after beating the hell out of my phones in the past and they kept working like a Timex watch. While my friends Motos seemed to fall apart being dropped. Hazards of the job really. So I was sort of worried about the Droid when I got it but so far it's been great. Even read the Yahoo Finance article on Corning's Gorilla Glass it uses and how it's set to maybe change the TV markets as well (Corning Puts $180M in Gorilla Glass - TheStreet).

Got the Ally for my step-son yesterday. Wasn't about to pay $150 for the Droid 1 when he destroys phones in 6 months. And I actually like the raised keys on the keyboard more than my Droid. Don't care as much for the cursor control though. But it seems like a well rounded phone after playing with it while he recharged it while he was at work. Better than the Eris he wanted.

As far as TapaTalk: I tried it and wasn't 100% sold on it. So I bought the app to try the premium version to try for the 24 hour period knowing I could refund it if I didn't like it. But I kept it after playing with it. I don't use it all the time, but there are times I'm not in front of a computer and the magazines laying around are lacking so I use it then.
The app market is set up that way. You can try an app for 24 hours and get a refund if you don't like it. So it doesn't hurt to play around with them. I've refunded maybe 10 apps in the 6 months I've had my phone - most because I got the purchase confirmation but I couldn't download the app due to network issues.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but the X seems a bit too large for me. I think my limit is maybe a 4" screen phone? Much bigger and we start getting into "too big to carry in pocket or on hip" sizes. You'll have to start carrying a man purse. :)

OP
P

pointzero1

Reaction score
Still waiting for the Droid X to restock at my local Verizon store. And it got me thinking... Do I really need a smartphone? I have been looking at the costs to own and maintain a smartphone and have realized how expensive it is, for something that makes phone calls.

So my question to those who own a smartphone, what justified the cost for you?

onmyway

Reaction score
One of those places where we have a lot of sweet t
Current Phone Model
G N 4
That kid in my avitar, wearing the red vest, pointing at something at the coliseum in Rome, was diagnosed a diabetic type 1 for his sixth birthday. My Droid has been my pocket google, alarm clock, calorie counter, insulin converter, calculator, fix findrr, telephone, no time to give fixer, spreadsheet opener, creator, friend updater, starbucks finder, A better navigator than, my 2010 on-star, best friend, worth every penny,camera, video camera, savvy shopper, hard day get me througher device I could ever have minus one thing...maveen on my laptop scrabble game.....only he could compare and he is a computer too. My droid is terrific and designed for me.

Last edited: