Hi, am I welcomed here?

pointzero1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I came by here a few weeks ago, as a new member, but no one welcomed me, so i was sad.

Well, my contract is ending this weekend, and will probably be getting a new phone as well, im pretty excited. But not knowing a single thing about smartphones or verizon for that matter.

As a new user, is there a difference between the Incredible, Droid, Droid X, or any other phone?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Sorry that no one replied to your earlier post.

The Droid, Incredible, and Droid X all use the Android OS. The Incredible is from HTC while the Droid and X are from Motorola. The Droid has a slide out key board the others do not.

My best advice go to a VZW store and try all three.

Let us know what you decide.

Mike

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I came by here a few weeks ago, as a new member, but no one welcomed me, so i was sad.

Well, my contract is ending this weekend, and will probably be getting a new phone as well, im pretty excited. But not knowing a single thing about smartphones or verizon for that matter.

As a new user, is there a difference between the Incredible, Droid, Droid X, or any other phone?
Welcome to DF! I am very sorry nobody greeted you with open arms. Anyway, glad you're here. I am a former VZW employee and several current employees on DF so fire away with any question you might have. And, thousands of people read every day on here and have very good knowledge of the Android phones, so sit back, relax and make yourself at home.

OP
P

pointzero1

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome, mwhartman, vulcan1600rider, and johnly!
Im happy.

I just did some forum snooping, and I had a quick question.

I've been using a feature phone up to now, what is the main difference between my featurephone and the now current trend of smartphone.

Thanks, Johnly, but I don't really have clear idea as to what android is... I know it's an os, but how do these so called "apps" work. Do I need to pay for them or are they free to download? I ask, because I see my friend's phones with all these "apps" on their phones, like more than 20, it feels expensive to have so many, no?

*Edit*

Btw, what is tapatalk? I see many posts on the forums saying, "sent from tapatalk." or something similar.

Last edited:
J

Johnly

Im happy.

I've been using a feature phone up to now, what is the main difference between my featurephone and the now current trend of smartphone.

Thanks, Johnly, but I don't really have clear idea as to what android is... I know it's an os, but how do these so called "apps" work. Do I need to pay for them or are they free to download? I ask, because I see my friend's phones with all these "apps" on their phones, like more than 20, it feels expensive to have so many, no?

*Edit*

Btw, what is tapatalk? I see many posts on the forums saying, "sent from tapatalk." or something similar.
Jump in! Apps are free, and there is a ton, but the better ones are a buck to 30 bucks. The difference between a feature phone and a smart phone is a data plan....an extra 30+ bucks a month. If you can swing that, then be prepared to have some power in your pocket!

hedney3

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Dont worry about this app problem. the apps are both free and paid. but mostly free. second :welcome:

onmyway

Reaction score
One of those places where we have a lot of sweet t
Current Phone Model
G N 4
Hi ya! A few weeks back every other word was Droid X and Froyo.....to the point I did not read as much as I normally would. Good questions, nice answers, welcome aboard.

Tapatalk is neat and was my last download outside
Of a Scorpio wallpaper that is rather bling bling that it caught my six year olds attention....with tapatalk though things I missed was seeing for example you are a new user verses say being a member of the Beta Team, or a moderator. I also like to see the thread listings at the bottom of the webpage, but last Friday night I covered many threads and learned a lot more without those distractions because I focused on just text in tapatalk. Its more to the point of conversation and no zoom in and out and grumbling at yourself for tapping that ad again...in the background. Worth your dollar I think.

Last edited:
OP
P

pointzero1

Reaction score
@onmyway

Sorry, I am confused, I'm not sure if you answered my question regarding "What is Tapatalk?"

J

Johnly

@onmyway

Sorry, I am confused, I'm not sure if you answered my question regarding "What is Tapatalk?"
I am going to be honest...tapatalk seems popular, but I have lived without it, and I have no trouble navigating, or visiting forums. I am prolly missing out, but oh well, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

alphawave7

Reaction score
Tapatalk is extraordinarily efficient for viewing DF and sister fora posts...I can view/read threads and post very quickly, remotely...sometimes, in between updates, they futz things up, but quickly fix within another week...I think it's worth the $. Enjoy DF, and sorry for the skipped welcome! :icon_ banana:

onmyway

Reaction score
One of those places where we have a lot of sweet t
Current Phone Model
G N 4
I would say I skipped a thought or two.

I appreciate the others posts to help expound.

Tapatalk is downloaded from the market and explains what it is there too and in a straight forward like manner. I admittedly looked at it from all the posts utilizing the footers saying they posted utilizing tapatalk. I chose to exclude the footer when I downloaded it.

I suggest you see the example in market to better see for yourself an example. Also, a suggestion is to pay attention to comments posted about downloadable apps. Thinking back though there was that day some group took out their "i am bored" on an app. comment section and posted very lame remarks. Yes, you can report that type of stuff too.

Sorry for not well rounding that answer and making it a complete thought. I was nearing countdown mode to recharge and start all over again.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Im happy.

*Edit*

Welcome!

To further answer your question on the apps and how they work, when you get your phone, you will have an icon called "Market". You will click on it and it will list the available apps by category, first you would choose apps/games/verizon, lets say you choose Apps, you would then see "all applications, comics, communication etc. it breaks down into sub categories. Then say you choose Communication, It would then show you apps in that category, now you would be able to choose the Top paid, top free, or Just in. So if you were wanting free apps, you would choose Top Free and browse through to see what you would find. Find one that might interest you, and click on it, it will give you a brief description, and you can also click on comments to see what other users have to say about it. If you want to download it, you simply click on download. It will then pop up a window showing what all the program has access to. For example, If its a mp3 downloading app it would have access to the SD card to save files. Once downloaded, it will be on your app tray, which you can pull up from your home screen.

armeddroid

Reaction score
Welcome to DF.
Tapatalk is an app you can use to view forums as well as this one. There are many forums that use it, car, computers, technology, etc etc.
It's a quick way of getting access to whatever your into. Instead of going to the actual web page via your browser, you can use Tapatalk. The free version only allows you to view what's going on but not to post your own comments or upload pics. Etc.
But its an acquired taste. Not everyone likes it cause some prefer the browser.
Hope that helps and have fun.

and I type this from my Droid.