HELPPPP...Big Tethering Problem

zornguy

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from a phone that only had EV-DO capabilities. I use my cell to tether to my laptop. On my old phone I received great internet speeds for where I live, I could watch a video and only have to pause it maybe once or so. But on my new Moto Droid, I tether it using PDAnet, and with 2 bars showing and in 3G mode, I get AWFULLLLL (I mean dial up speed) internet service. I have been told by Verizon customer support that if I was getting good service on my old phone that only had EV-DO capabilities, then I should get even better service on my new droid. Is there something I can do? I'm not very tech savvy so that's why I'm asking for your help.

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from a phone that only had EV-DO capabilities. I use my cell to tether to my laptop. On my old phone I received great internet speeds for where I live, I could watch a video and only have to pause it maybe once or so. But on my new Moto Droid, I tether it using PDAnet, and with 2 bars showing and in 3G mode, I get AWFULLLLL (I mean dial up speed) internet service. I have been told by Verizon customer support that if I was getting good service on my old phone that only had EV-DO capabilities, then I should get even better service on my new droid. Is there something I can do? I'm not very tech savvy so that's why I'm asking for your help.

Your internet connection on your LAPTOP or your DROID is getting terrible speeds?? Explain a little more about the "service" too :)

Brick

PS. WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

kristoff125

Reaction score
download the FCC speedtest app, then run a test on speedtest.net to see how the tethered laptop is, and please post the speeds of both, then we can see if it's a matter of the tether killing the speed, or the speed being bad in the first place.
at home I have 1 bar and that was .17 mbps download, which is substantially faster than any dialup I've ever had.

OP
Z

zornguy

Reaction score
LOL...I don't know if you're being facetious or serious but my internet speeds with this new droid SUCKS!!! Thats what I need help with.

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
LOL...I don't know if you're being facetious or serious but my internet speeds with this new droid SUCKS!!! Thats what I need help with.

I'm being serious lol. We need to know if its the Droid or the laptop getting the bad connection, usually when I tether my Droid, all the speed from my PC internet connection is lost, (I guess it is added to the Droid's connection) and my Droid gets a huge gain in internet speed. Also, are you using pdanet, the default 2.2 usb tether, or another app for tethering??

Brick

kristoff125

Reaction score
I asked a simple question, download the FCC app, run it, write down the speed, then tether the laptop, run a speedtest.net speed test, write it down.
put the two numbers you wrote down into a post, as brick said, tell us what tether app you use, and we can try to work with you.

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
He is using pdanet I just reread the first post, I don't have much experience with pdanet because I use the default android 2.2 usb tether, but there is another app you could try. Instructions: Download the first file to your computer, install it. Plug in your phone to your computer via usb, pull down the notification bar and mount the sd card to your computer. Download the second file, copy and paste it to the root of your sd card. OR!!!!! JUST DOWNLOAD THE 2ND FILE TO YOUR PHONE USING YOUR PHONES BROWSER AND INSTALL. Try this app and see if it works:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/51553-just-got-email-tether-android-beta.html

Hope it helps,
Brick

OP
Z

zornguy

Reaction score
When I typed in FCC speedtest it came back with no results but I downloaded one called Xtremelabs Speedtest and have been running it for about 15 minutes so far and it is showing that its complete and that the max download speed is 75kbps and the max upload is 64kbps for the droid I'm fixing to run one on my laptop. I'll post as soon as I know.

OP
Z

zornguy

Reaction score
Just finished with speedtest.net. My download speed is 0.17mbps my upload speed is 0.22mbps. What app and files are you talking about brick? Sorry for the delay in posting, like I said it's running VERY slow.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Just finished with speedtest.net. My download speed is 0.17mbps my upload speed is 0.22mbps. What app and files are you talking about brick? Sorry for the delay in posting, like I said it's running VERY slow.

Click the link in Bricks message..

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
I asked a simple question, download the FCC app, run it, write down the speed, then tether the laptop, run a speedtest.net speed test, write it down.
put the two numbers you wrote down into a post, as brick said, tell us what tether app you use, and we can try to work with you.

And by the way kristoff, THAT IS THE MOST INSANE DOWNLOAD SPEED I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!! lol just thought I'd through that out there.....

kristoff125

Reaction score
just type in FCC and it's the only result =).
Verizon Fios for my normal internet.

avicus

Reaction score
I'm new here but I think I might have the same problem as him . at the moment I have a temporary root, and I downloaded Android tether and it shows my download and upload when I'm on my laptop, and at first its works great but after 5 mins or so my download and upload look like I'm not even connected ( even though I am) and suddenly none of the pages I go to work anymore. They all say something like page not available. So I have to disconnect and reconnect just to have it work for another five minutes. I'm so annoyed and lost. just got my Droid like 3 weeks ago and I love it Hahah I feel like I'm asking to much of it but it really is an amazing phone. I downloaded that fcc and tested like 4 times and each time it got faster starting at down .48 mbps and up at .58 mbps all the way to down .93 mbps to up .98 mbps. I still need to do tje speed test thing but honestly I have no idea what any of this means.

Last edited:

Axium

Reaction score
I'm new here but I think I might have the same problem as him . at the moment I have a temporary root, and I downloaded Android tether and it shows my download and upload when I'm on my laptop, and at first its works great but after 5 mins or so my download and upload look like I'm not even connected ( even though I am) and suddenly none of the pages I go to work anymore. They all say something like page not available. So I have to disconnect and reconnect just to have it work for another five minutes. I'm so annoyed and lost. just got my Droid like 3 weeks ago and I love it Hahah I feel like I'm asking to much of it but it really is an amazing phone. I downloaded that fcc and tested like 4 times and each time it got faster starting at down .48 mbps and up at .58 mbps all the way to down .93 mbps to up .98 mbps. I still need to do tje speed test thing but honestly I have no idea what any of this means.

this is happening to me too i dont know why it drops the connection or something but its highly annoying.

avicus

Reaction score
Well it nice to know I'm not the only one. I just wish I new if its my phone, my 3G or my computer but when I'm on line with my phone all seems well, so I have know idea.:/