Helped...bricked s4

fishacura

Reaction score
OH NO! I tried to reflah stock in ODIN after the failed OTA update today and it failed. I went to turn the phone back on and am getting a message stating:

Firmware Upgrade encounter an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again

WHAT HAVE I DONE? Odin doesn't seem to pick the phone up now. HELP!!!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Not sure if you have used it before

SAMSUNG KIES

Don't know if it will help you now. Can you get into recovery mode? Power off and then power on while holding volume up. See if you can do a factory restore and get back to your old stock settings and try odin again.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
That's exactly where I stand (KIES). I've installed it because the error is firmware related so I cannot boot into any mode. I just get a firmware error when the phone is turned on in any way (normal, recovery, download mode, etc). My problem now is that when I start Kies it does not recognize/find the device. Still playing with drivers and things but it's not optimisitic. Should have trusted my gut and waited 6-9 months before trying to root knowing it was a newer device and I'm a novice. CRAP!!!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would try uninstalling all current drivers, restart PC, and then reinstall the proper drivers. Sometimes drivers can be tricky and cause alot of errors. Not long ago I ran into almost a cycle of errors due to drivers with my Galaxy Nexus and thought it was hopeless. Start from square one and hopefully it's smooth sailing from there.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
After skimming through a couple of other threads it sounds like the driver issue will be your biggest challenge. Also make sure you have a newer version of Odin (3.0.7 and above, if there is one above that) and for some reason it sounds like you'll want Kies closed out completely if you're trying to get Odin to see the device.

edit: also try different usb ports

edit 2: and to manually install the drivers, when the phone is plugged in, right click on My Computer, go to Properties > Device Manager > look for something related to Android or USB or Samsung or something along those lines that will likely have a yellow exclamation point next to it. Update the drivers for that device, but when you update, choose "browse my computer" then "let me pick from a list". There should be an option for Samsung / Android USB in the list - choose it and that should do it for you. You might not need to install the drivers manually, but figured I put this up just in case.

Last edited:
OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
I think the drivers are there and are fine. There are two:
Samsung mobile USB CDC composite device (has a pic of a USB cod next to it) and Samsung Mobile USB Modem These were installed from the Samsung site directly

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Well, the phone is on its way back to VZ. I have a feeling they'll realize that it was, at one point, rooted. My only hope is that somehow I can own up to something and have them only charge me the subsidised price for the replacement vs. full retail. Ouch...well, my rooting days are over for awhile I think :(

gimpy1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Please keep us updated, if you don't mind, particularly on Verizon's stance.

Thx

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
I certainly will. Unfortunately they are well within our rights to stick it to me on this one. But I'm hoping I can get a break somehow.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Wow now that's a very specific question :) I honestly have no idea without looking but assume they did earlier in the week.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Wow now that's a very specific question :) I honestly have no idea without looking but assume they did earlier in the week.
Just curious.

Never returned/exchanged a phone through mail, only through store, but I would assume they would provide the packaging and a tracking number to ensure the customer that they received it. At least an email confirming the unit was received in today's day and age would be nice.

gimpy1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Did you buy insurance when you bought it? Hoping you come out ok in this.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which, I cant seem to get my MTP drivers to work. Ever done that on the S4?

check this post out: Firmware Upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in kies & try again. - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

sounds like it could apply in this scenario? *crosses fingers*

And every Samsung device I've had has been finicky with the drivers. 9 times out of 10 at some point I have to go in and manually install them via the Device Manager in Windows.