Help with Samsung s5 texting

Tony5496

Reaction score
Hi could someone please help me out I am new to the Samsung galaxy S5 is a lovely phone but having a few problems with it the problem at the moment is when I send a long text it comes back as failed on a long text if I sent a short text and it is okay it says at the bottom of the message failed MMS but it's not than MMS message I'm trying to send it's a text is it because I can't text over hundred 160 characters is there any way around this as it seems really odd and just don't understand it to be honest any help would be quite good many thanks.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum.

A standard SMS is 160 characters. Some phones can do extended text but this is acheived by stringing 3 normal messages together giving you a total of 480 charcters, which are charged as 3 messages by the network operator.

MMS.. you can send long text messages up to 1024 characters

OP
T

Tony5496

Reaction score
God this seems so silly as coming over from iphone it was not a problem with text size is there a third party app I can get to sort this out as I send long texts at work so why does it still not send in mms saying failed when I send a long one very confused don't really want to go back to iphone to sort this out many thanks

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You may want to check this app. I believe it has a feature to accommodate an SMS over 160 characters.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handcent.nextsms

I use Handcent and have it set to split messages by last word before hitting the 160 limit so the follow up text isn't split mid word. You can set it to split at exactly 160 also or not split at all.
Since I'm on t-mobile that doesn't have the cdma 160 limitation I went with Handcent because Verizon splits them out of order, from last to first instead of first to last, using the stock text app.
It has numerous other nice features that make it a very handy app to use.
Hope that helps

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

wcjeep

Reaction score
Network issues make extra long text messages annoying. The 2nd and 3rd text may not arrive at the same Time.

Ant in S

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung s5
Network issues make extra long text messages annoying. The 2nd and 3rd text may not arrive at the same Time.

i have similar but slightly different problem....
my samsung s5 allows me to type in 3 x 160 character texts before changing to MMS. Fair enough. 480 characters is quite long I accept. MMS cost £££ but texts are free.

BUT if I copy and paste into a text (from a memo or from an email) then I dont get 480 characters! I get around half! ie 200-250. i get around 65 characters in the 3rd text, 63 in the 2nd and in the 1st I think i get even less. V annoying. Changes to MMS too quickly. Whats wrong? what can be done?
thanks