Help with email sync

mfranker

Reaction score
Hi I'm also new the moto droid and am loving all the neat features. One problem that is annoying me though is I have it synced with my comcast email account. I do not remove emails from the server, as I also want them to download on my pc. I have my comcast account set to remove them after 30 days. But now every time my droid does a sync, it tells me I have a new email, when it fact it was already downloaded to the droid in previous syncs. So basically I'm contantly getting email notifications. I have now changed the setting to silent for email notification - but that defeats the purpose. I would like to be notified - but only when I truly have a new email. Any suggestions?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm also new the moto droid and am loving all the neat features. One problem that is annoying me though is I have it synced with my comcast email account. I do not remove emails from the server, as I also want them to download on my pc. I have my comcast account set to remove them after 30 days. But now every time my droid does a sync, it tells me I have a new email, when it fact it was already downloaded to the droid in previous syncs. So basically I'm contantly getting email notifications. I have now changed the setting to silent for email notification - but that defeats the purpose. I would like to be notified - but only when I truly have a new email. Any suggestions?

I think you may have something set up incorrectly in your forwarding and pop settings on your gmail on line. Go over there and review those settings, there is a link for configuration instructions. Make sure you have it set up properly to avoid the multiple notifications.

OP
M

mfranker

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Actually, this is not my gmail account. It is my comcast account. Gmail seems to sync correctly, but I don't want to use gmail for two reasons. 1. my emails arrive quicker when I go directly through comast since gmail has to wait to sync with comcast before it syncs to my phone. But 2. (and most important) despite the setting which is checked in gmail that says to send the messages from my comcast account, when my recipients receive my emails the address is showing it coming from my gmail account. I really don't want anyone using my gmail account. I only want to check one email and that is my comcast account. That is how all my pcs are set up and that is how I wanted my phone set up. However, there is definately seems to be a bug with the sync between comcast and the email app on the phone. Not sure if the exchange server settings have that same problem or not as I'm not syncing with a corporate account.

OP
M

mfranker

Reaction score
Once again - thanks for the info -- I think I am going to turn my gmail sync back on - just so I can get the notifications. And I'll turn off notifications from my direct comcast account. I guess it would be better to get notifications a little late as opposed to be getting constant notifications for emails I have already viewed.