HELP! Up For Renewal - Have Blackberry Storm - Get X or wait?

tylercwhite

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I could really use your advice. I'm up for my NE2 at the end of this month (though I presume I could upgrade early.) I've played with the Droid X recently and really like it and that was a stock version. I love all the rooting possibilities.

Here's my dilemma, do I stick with my crummy Blackberry Storm (1st version) until say March/April when Verizon rolls out their new 4G phones or should I just pop on a Droid X now?

The Droid Bionic looks great and I live in Los Angeles, one of their 4G areas, but I'm just not sure.

Also, when I renew should I just sign up for a year, considering the new upgrade policies?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I could really use your advice. I'm up for my NE2 at the end of this month (though I presume I could upgrade early.) I've played with the Droid X recently and really like it and that was a stock version. I love all the rooting possibilities.

Here's my dilemma, do I stick with my crummy Blackberry Storm (1st version) until say March/April when Verizon rolls out their new 4G phones or should I just pop on a Droid X now?

The Droid Bionic looks great and I live in Los Angeles, one of their 4G areas, but I'm just not sure.

Also, when I renew should I just sign up for a year, considering the new upgrade policies?

I'm not sure with your current upgrade if you have a choice but to renew for two years. I think you have to.

As a former Blackberry Storm owner myself 3 or 4 months to me would be a long time to wait. And in 3 or 4 months they will be talking about another new Droid other then the Bionics. Do you continue to hold off?

If what I hear about the Bionic is true and the bootloader isn't locked down that might be a reason to wait. Right now I think rooting both the X and the D2 can have issues due to the bootstraps. That is if you're thinking about rooting.

Other then that the X is a giant step away from the Storm which let's face it was a total bomb. You know that if you've already played with one. I probably would dump the Storm if I were in your shoes and get the X, the 4G thing isn't that important to me and even though you live in L.A. that doesn't mean the entire County of Los Angeles will have 4G. I'll bet a hundred dollars you won't get a 4G signal in Hermosa Beach. It's going to take a while for them to completely build their network.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
I would jump now too. I would go for the 1 year contract, if I could get it. A year with the X will give you time to learn Android, then get the next new thing with the knowledge of the past year under your belt.

moviemogul

Reaction score
I went with an Incredible for my upgrade. I did go for the 2 year price, but I should be able to upgrade next January without issue

Wuzz Ranger

Reaction score
Just a heads up, it seems like someone is posting this same question every other day. Do a search to see what other responses are, your not alone :)

I would personally wait. New phones are coming out at CES and you can get the specs on the kind of phone your looking for.

Good Luck!

Detonation

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt should be out in a month or so. I would choose that over the X at this point, but the Bionic sounds much more appealing if you can deal with the storm until April+.

And if you're like most of us here who frequently like getting new phones, I would sign a one year contract. Its $70 more up front, but then you can get a new phone at the subsidized price in a year versus buying one at full price/ebay/craigslist, which is more than a $70 savings.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
The day my wife upgraded from her BB Storm to the X, she threw the old Storm on the floor and stomped on it. In the months since then, she says the X is a million times better, and she doesn't know how she survived without it. (Incidentally, she's a small business owner, and both phones were heavily used for that purpose).

wil318466

Reaction score
I absolutely needed a new phone the other day and went with the Samsung Fascinate. I had some hardware issues with the Motorola Droid (even though I loved it) and just wanted to try out a Samsung high end phone.

Had to root and install a new kernel/rom and make it the way I wanted, but I can honestly say I'm *very* happy with it. Beautiful phone and very fast. Only issue I have at this point is I wish it was a bit louder when talking on the phone. Other than that, close to perfect (if you're going to root/mod. If not, I wouldn't recommend)