HELP! SuperUser is all messed up!!

HuStLa420

Reaction score
I was in the process of updating to the official VZW 5.6.890 (So i can finally get SDv3.0 running!) and now my superuser isnt working correctly which wont allow me to use safestrap or anything else to even go into recovery mode for that matter... I did do full backups with safestrap (in "unsafe mode") but cant even access the app or the boot menu even after many reboots and resets. AND:
Before you ask, i didnt simply do the update while rooted. I used Voodoos OTA Rootkeeper to temp unroot, backed up everything, and successfully installed the 5.6.890 OTA update without any issues. After like a 5minute bootup i checked the system version and was relieved to see to the new version. So I opened Rootkeeper, "re rooted" my phone, and rebooted it thinking i could open safestrap with no problems. Wrong. It didnt give me the option to recovery boot with the menu softkey like it normally does, and holding down the M key didnt work either. The problem is definitely with Superuser, and it causes my safestrap to immediately force close even with uninstalling and re-installing it several times. I tried uninstaling Superuser from market (yea right like that does anything) and installing BusyBox as well as SuperUser update fixer. The update fixer at first says no problems detected (with the signatures), and when i force run it says this in the command log;
*Checking signatures....Ok
*Extracting tiny busyboy...Ok
*Extracting Superuser.apk...Ok
*Gaining root access... 'Failed. Try downloading and flashing an update.zip from androidsu.com' (Tried that as well but i have no recovery to flash the .zip and it wouldnt open by itself...)
So basically Superuser is there and my phone says it is rooted in BusyBox, but SU wont allow root access to anything... even itself? help pleasee

EDIT: When trying to update SU binarys i get the same error message, everything works til it hits "Gaining root access... fail"
Just thought id let everyone know the problem isnt with the outdated binaries or anything like that either.

Last edited by a moderator:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Root keeper didn't work. You need to re root with petes tools.

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

OP
H

HuStLa420

Reaction score
Ok well i have an update so let me know if i should still attempt to re root. After several more reboots of the phone, i was able to get to the first black and white recovery screen (the one that takes you to the black and green CWR screen), select BP tools, and enter CWR screen. I changed the phone to safe mode, and rebooted the phone again thinking i might be good to install SD v3.0 after the length re-boot from unsafe to safe mode. Well im even more screwed now because im locked in the stuck bootloader... now what? Try to hook up to the computer and re root? Can i just re root over what i already have? Trying to not dig myself into an even bigger hole, hopefully everythings fine and i can be rooted and flashes soon... :frown:

Also, i just read something about Root keeper not working unless you have already partitioned the SD card? I was planning on doing that after but that might have been what threw this whole thing off not sure, just trying to give as much info as possible about my situation.

EDIT: Tried hooking up phone to comp (with the included droid 3 cable) and phone is still stuck in bootloader, meaning my computer wont recognize it so im not even sure how i could un root and then re root now....

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you can't get into the OS you can't root.

Why did you go into safestrap and go to safe mode instead of repairing root?

You most likely need to FXZ if you can't get back into recovery. That is something I haven't done.

OP
H

HuStLa420

Reaction score
good news

Well i finally got it to hard reset and was able to boot up back into recovery mode somehow. I was reading your guide on how to remove the logwrapper file from my system (I realized i never downloaded Hashcodes D3bootstrap on my own, but it was packaged with CWM i guess when i rooted my phone about a month ago with PetesOneCLick Root or whatever its called.) and the problem is even with a root file explorer i cant find the /system/bin because once again SuperUsers permissions or whatever is screwed up with my SU wont allow root explorer access to my files... SO the question is how else can i delete D3 Bootstraps logwrapper files without this access?? Once i do that i feel i can safely reboot into recovery, go into safe mode, and hopefully finally extract my SDv3.0.zip...
Anything else needed to extract the .zip ROM btw? im 99% sure i have everything but i avoided a disaster by a hair so im trying to be extra extra careful now. *
*Also, since i now am out of the bootloop and can connect to my computer i feel there may be a way to either fix SU or at least to find and delete the logwrapper file that most likely caused this in the first place, anyone who can possibly help please give me any advice im close but dont want to rush anything, thanks.
Edit: Just wanted to personally thank Guidot where everyone can see it, hes been a great help (and pretty much my only help so far other than some searching so, lets change that guys i know theres a lot of smart DF members out there!!)

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well i finally got it to hard reset and was able to boot up back into recovery mode somehow. I was reading your guide on how to remove the logwrapper file from my system (I realized i never downloaded Hashcodes D3bootstrap on my own, but it was packaged with CWM i guess when i rooted my phone about a month ago with PetesOneCLick Root or whatever its called.) and the problem is even with a root file explorer i cant find the /system/bin because once again SuperUsers permissions or whatever is screwed up with my SU wont allow root explorer access to my files... SO the question is how else can i delete D3 Bootstraps logwrapper files without this access?? Once i do that i feel i can safely reboot into recovery, go into safe mode, and hopefully finally extract my SDv3.0.zip...
Anything else needed to extract the .zip ROM btw? im 99% sure i have everything but i avoided a disaster by a hair so im trying to be extra extra careful now. *
*Also, since i now am out of the bootloop and can connect to my computer i feel there may be a way to either fix SU or at least to find and delete the logwrapper file that most likely caused this in the first place, anyone who can possibly help please give me any advice im close but dont want to rush anything, thanks.
Edit: Just wanted to personally thank Guidot where everyone can see it, hes been a great help (and pretty much my only help so far other than some searching so, lets change that guys i know theres a lot of smart DF members out there!!)

Root checker in the market will tell you if you actually have root. If not then you will need to re root. You can try petes tools again since you can get it into the OS.

OP
H

HuStLa420

Reaction score
LOL even that program cant decide if i have root or not! it initally said i did, but after clicking the button about a dozen more times got half and half results. literally every other click or so the message changes from 'Congratulations! You have root access!' to 'Sorry, you don't have root access.'
Im guessing e best way is to just do what you said and use Petes One Click, so ill do that and hopefully not have any more problems. Can I just say screw Voodoo OTA RootKeeper for Droid 3s... I followed the idiot-proof 2 button clicks on the app and the piece of junk totally did not work. Also, it says i have a rooted device and when i click temp un root it wont restore the rooted backup after that, what a piece lol.
How do i port the 5.6.890 install over to petes tools? i downloaded it and dont know how to load it up or get that one to select when i go to root

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know you are frustrated but can we keep the expletives to a minimum?

OP
H

HuStLa420

Reaction score
yep, i starred some of those out myself but yea it doesnt help that no other single member on this site has even offered a single post in regards to any of my questions and posts ive had in the past 48 hours. just thought these forums were a bit more active, other members seem to be getting some responses but not nearly as many as i thought there would be on any of the active threads. well whatever hopefully im able to figure this out on my own and not wreck my phone i guess. ive waited 2 days to only get responses from you so i guess ill just take my chances. btw if you can help at all i tried re rooting with petes one click root and it said it was successful. but i have the same exact problems with my phone now, its like half rooted or something literally. it cant deciede whether its rooted or not and SU still wont give any permissions.