Help... someone, anyone...

XcYZ

Reaction score
I need help. Anything would be great.

Let me start by saying that my Driod has NEVER dropped a single call. Not one. However...

My wife and I both picked up Driods at the end of January (I joined this site a few days later). Life was great until the end of April when her phone started dropping calls. It got to the point where it would drop more calls than you placed or recieved and when retrieving voice mails. After 2 weeks of fighting the problem, *228's, changing PRL's, trying hybrid PRL's, Verizon's Tier 2 support decided to Fedex us a new used (refurb) Driod about the middle of May. That lasted about 7 days before it also started dropping calls. It was then, in late May and after several more calls to Verizon, they placed us on yet another hybrid PRL. It actually worked fine for about 2 weeks which was about mid-June. Then more dropped calls. They had us do a factory reset on the refurb phone, but guess what, the damn thing wouldn't connect so you couldn't activate it! Now we sat there with a totally dead phone that we could do NOTHING with. The tech didn't know what to do, he just apologized and said I would have to wait until the following day and drive across town to the Verizon store and see what they could do. Talk about being disgusted, I just gave up. But later in the day I tried it again and it finally connected and it was able to take the activation.

More dropped calls in late June. A LOT of dropped calls. More calls to the Verizon support center in Texas. I'm now getting on a first name basis with the Tier 2 supervisors. They've repeatedly created new "tickets" and have someone above them look into them. We get text messages saying that our "tickets" are being reviewed, but nothing ever happens. I later learn that if you go more than 15 days without follow up from the customer that there's a problem, they discard them. So now I've had at least 6 tickets created, but none of them can be reviewed because they are older than 15 days! WTF!! They mean nothing??!?!

So now it's the beginning of July. More constant dropped calls, my wife can sometimes go a day or more without being able to make or recieve a call. I call Verizon AGAIN. They tell us to go to the Verizon store and there's a brand new in the box Driod waiting for her. She does that. She's now on her 3rd Driod in 90 days.

And guess what? It's dropping calls. In the 7 days she's owned the brand new Driod, she's dropped 9 of 41 calls. That's nearly 25% of all the calls. Dropped. I call Verizon AGAIN, we go through ALL the stupid troubleshooting steps. They create another "ticket". They say there's nothing they can do but watch the open ticket and see what happens. Meanwhile, my wife's phone drops 3 more calls this morning. So that's 12 dropped calls out of 44 in the past 7 days with her brand new Driod. My wife's Driod and my Driod are identical. Every setting is exactly the same. Everything -but- the BEND number. He couldn't explain what a Bend was, other than it was something only an engineer above him could change. He was going to note that in the "ticket".

Let me point out again that my Driod has NEVER dropped a single call. Not one. It's been a fantastic device.

I could go on for hours telling you stories about the BS the tech guys had me do. I've spent countless hours on the phone with Verizon. One guy told me that my wife needs to remove all her apps... but guess what, she never installed a single app on her 2nd or 3rd Driod. That left him stumped, he created a "ticket".

Last night during the troubleshooting process, the tech once again reviewed our dropped call log and actually had the nerve to comment that my wife doesn't actually use that many minutes on her phone... well duh!! The damn thing doesn't work!! How is she supposed to put minutes on her phone if she can't use it?!?!?! It was all I could do to remain civil. He did at least credit us $65.

I work in the technical field. I'm an electronic tech at a major hospital. I work technical support with an on-call schedule. I understand technical problems that are of electronic nature. I understand dealing with the end user. I understand troubleshooting technical problems that exist within the layers of software, firmware, and hardware. That is how I make a living.

What I do NOT understand, however, is that after 3 devices and 3 months, they still give me the complete run around with absolutely no resolution. I've asked 2 separate Tier 2 supervisors to please terminate our contract, we just want to move on to a phone and service that works. They refuse to terminate the contract because when network engineers have come out here and measured the signal, everything is perfect. So here we are, stuck.

I have no idea what to do, and obviously, neither does Verizon.

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
see if verizon would just cancel that line and add another line on the contract - seems to be just her line with the problem? i only skimmed it

ive never seen anything like that so i really dont know what to say

JP 5.56

Reaction score
My dad can only wear one brand of wrist watch, because anything else he puts on stops running almost immediately. Something to do with the natural electrical current his body produces.

Maybe its not the phone? Have you tried letting her use yours for an extended period? Call em up and have them swap the devices so you can keep your numbers. Do it in the name of science!

And more seriously: this is a situation where phone calls from me would stop. Certified letters and in person visits to the local corporate location until they get this crap together.

OP
X

XcYZ

Reaction score
My dad can only wear one brand of wrist watch, because anything else he puts on stops running almost immediately. Something to do with the natural electrical current his body produces.

Maybe its not the phone? Have you tried letting her use yours for an extended period? Call em up and have them swap the devices so you can keep your numbers. Do it in the name of science!

And more seriously: this is a situation where phone calls from me would stop. Certified letters and in person visits to the local corporate location until they get this crap together.

It drops calls when I use it too. I can hold one phone and call the other, it will drop both incoming and outgoing.

I believe it's a switch/routing issue at Verizon. They think that's the problem, too, but since they can't do anything to resolve or identify it, they just keep giving us new phones. After 3 new devices and the issue remains, you would expect that Verizon would start to think that the issue isn't with the device. lol

I also have to wonder about 2.1 The phone worked wonderful until we got the OTA push of 2.1 in April. It may just be coincidence, but it's something that I've told Verizon about. They just add that to the mounting notes in our account and list it on the ticket.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sympathetic towards your issue. I strongly suspect its not the Droid at all but something with the tower.

And having gone through it myself I know it's frustrating. I'm assuming and let me know if I'm wrong this is primarily happening at your house?

If that's the case then I would start putting pressure on them to give you a signal booster. Because if they can't solve it after 3 tickets, then they need to take another corse of action.

And get one for free, you shouldn't have to pay a dime. Keep escalating. If worst comes to worst get an attorney to get you out of your contract

OP
X

XcYZ

Reaction score
I'm sympathetic towards your issue. I strongly suspect its not the Droid at all but something with the tower.

And having gone through it myself I know it's frustrating. I'm assuming and let me know if I'm wrong this is primarily happening at your house?

If that's the case then I would start putting pressure on them to give you a signal booster. Because if they can't solve it after 3 tickets, then they need to take another corse of action.

And get one for free, you shouldn't have to pay a dime. Keep escalating. If worst comes to worst get an attorney to get you out of your contract

Thanks, and I agree, it's not the Droid.

As for signal, both of our Droids display identical signal strengths when hers drops calls. It has also dropped calls while she was away from home, although I'd say 90% of the drops are while at our residence.

The problem with the Verizon and their tickets is that every time I call, they have to start the process all over, starting from square one. I have to explain it all over again, they bring up our substantial history file and we get nowhere. It's beyond frustrating.

Verizon knows there's a problem. They flat out acknowlege that, yet nothing has changed. We've had zero progress towards resolution and I have zero confidence in Verizon.

ChugIt

Reaction score
My daughter plays softball at the park about 6 miles from my house. The signal strength there was terrible so I called Verizon. They actually sent a field tech out to test the coordinates I gave them. Needless to say in about 10 days Verizon had a signal booster in the area and I get 4 bars and full 3G there constantly now. It is unfortunate in your circumstance, and from my experience unlike Verizon. Call them and tell them of this story (true story) I am telling you and ask if they can send a field tech out to investigate the area. However it does appear it MAY be the phone itself in your case, but it is worth a shot.

OP
X

XcYZ

Reaction score
My daughter plays softball at the park about 6 miles from my house. The signal strength there was terrible so I called Verizon. They actually sent a field tech out to test the coordinates I gave them. Needless to say in about 10 days Verizon had a signal booster in the area and I get 4 bars and full 3G there constantly now. It is unfortunate in your circumstance, and from my experience unlike Verizon. Call them and tell them of this story (true story) I am telling you and ask if they can send a field tech out to investigate the area. However it does appear it MAY be the phone itself in your case, but it is worth a shot.

They've sent people out to test signal strength at our residence twice now (they wanted to know which street intersection to test at). If I go outside my house to my side yard, I can see the tower, it's about a mile away.

And that's why they won't simply end our contract - they've tested our signal multiple times and they say it's great.

Oh, and the "Worry Free Guarantee" that Verizon offers only applies to the first 30 days of your contract. After that, you're on you're own.